Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedar Trees

SEIowaDeerslayer

I want to plant cedar trees for bedding areas on our property. Is there anyone here who knows how I go about doing this? I'm wondering where to get the seeds for these trees and what season to plant. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to plant cedar trees for bedding areas on our property. Is there anyone here who knows how I go about doing this? I'm wondering where to get the seeds for these trees and what season to plant. Thanks! </div></div>

Read thru our Tree Planting thread and it should answer all your questions and then some.

Plant red cedar seedling in spring or fall while they are dormant. They will grow just about anywhere except wet low areas and make excellent bedding areas.

The Iowa State Nursery is a great source (link in the Tree planting thread) of seedlings.

There are "how to plant" and herbicide/weed control issues discussed in the thread as well. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read through the tree planting thread...let's say I want to buy 100 trees...how much would that cost? </div></div>

I think the State Forest Nursery has a minimum order of 500 trees. Click on the link in the previous sentence for pricing and ordering information.

Here is pricing info from Cascade Forest Nursery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read through the tree planting thread...let's say I want to buy 100 trees...how much would that cost? </div></div>

I think the State Forest Nursery has a minimum order of 500 trees. Click on the link in the previous sentence for pricing and ordering information.

Here is pricing info from Cascade Forest Nursery. </div></div>

Here's another place that you can order smaller quanitites: Cold Stream Farms looks like about $64 a hundred

You can also use the Create-A-Wildlife Packet at the State Nursery to order 200 trees of up to 4 varieties and (so I'm told) you could just order 200 of all one kind/type which would be $45 a hundred...$90 bucks total.

The other possible is to check around for someone to split and order also. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you are a member of the N.W.T.F they also have great package options for small plantings at great prices to members.

Top Bottom