Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Check stations revisited

Fishbonker

Life Member
I have been against check stations. The concept is fine, but the practicallity is lacking. It won't stop cheaters, it is inconvienient and it would be inaccurate. Cheaters will always cheat, it is a lack of morals. It will be inconvienient because I want to sit down and have a couple after a long day of hunting and who knows where the check station will be. It will be innacurate because lots of folks do their own butching on their own place which means they don't have ot move it so why drag it to a check station?

Here is my solution, follow along. There is technology out there that can make checking your deer very easy. Ever called a credit card company? Everyone of them has some sort of system that askes you to "say" or "enter" your 16 digit account number. The DNR should implement such a system for voluntary "check stations". Let say you got a deer. There would be an 800 number to call. The automated system would ask for your tag number, we all have a number that is unique to us. Then it would ask for licences type, I belive this is a three number code with each season, weapon, area and sex having a number. Then it would ask for date of harvest and county of harvest. This is just a rough out line but I think the concept should work. It might be less expensive than mailing post cards. It should be linked to the new computerized license system for verification of data. It is convientient cause I can check my deer from my comfy chair at home, or even my cell phone in the field. I think it would be more accurate because of its convienience, but the cheaters will still cheat becasue thats what they are.

Anway, this is just a rough idea that may have already been brought up. I've never had an original thought in my life and I'm not gonna start now.

The 'Bonker

One more way to check-in could be an online form you fill out and electronically submit with the same info you pointed out above. That would be very minimal manpower to run from the DNR standpoint....worth it for the DNR to look into it anyways.

Top Bottom