Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chestnut or apple trees

MN Hunter

I have a couple different areas of a 7-8 year old apple trees. Was wondering if I should keep planting more apple trees or try chestnuts? I've never planted them before and am wondering if anyone else has and how have the results been. Thanks

BOTH!!! No doubt about it, why not do both?!?! I have 12 varieties of apples, 5 varieties of pears, 3 varieties of chestnuts and persimmons. That's not including the different oaks, etc I added. Trees don't really take up that much room so my vote is for sure to add both. heck, even with a smaller piece, i'd try and add a few apple & pear trees, etc every year if a guy could.

Deer love chestnuts BTW - I did several varieties but a lot of info on that topic on here. Deer love pears and persimmons too of course. Chestnuts produce pretty quickly as well.

For chestnuts, if your place is far north, need to look in cold hardy selections.
I have some hybrid chestnuts that have dieback during any very cold winters.

Another problem is the trees getting too much sun in the winter and getting sunscald, south side of the bark is easily killed when trunk is exposed, good to leave low branches on as I have learned. So they are a little touchier than other trees like apple.

As said above, add some pear trees. do you have mulberry trees on your place, seems like everything is attracted to them during summer season. Add some hazelnuts too, various oaks, and why not pecans too.

What are those types of chestnuts that create a "buckeye" type black shiny nut? One of my co-workers have some of those in his backyard and he said the deer eat the crap out of those but I can't seem to find what variety that is.

BTW to answer the OP's question, I'd plant both. Give them a variety and when you plant your apple trees, plant a combo of early and late maturing fruit. Crabapples are excellent as well.

Deer don't eat buckeyes, so make sure you are planting a castanea species....that is a true chestnut. Also, for MN, make sure you are getting a variety that is winter hardy in your area. Chinese chestnuts may or may not work for your area very well.

For sure add some chestnuts, they will bloom after the frosts and you will basically have a guaranteed crop in short order since they start producing in short order as opposed to oaks.

Thanks for the information guys. We have planted between 25-75 trees a year for the past 9 years. Mostly white, red oak along with crabapples. We have 2 smaller apple orchards also. I think I'll try some chestnut and pear trees and possibly some apple. The tree planting are being planted into areas where I have done extensive tsi. Old pastured that grew up into boxelder and elm nightmares. All of our previous tree plantings we have either caged or used tree tubes. Figured quality of the planting outweighed quantity. Thanks again

Top Bottom