Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chicory and Clover Combo.. Spraying question

michauxii

After a couple of years, my deer have decided they like chicory.. I mean, really like it!
I've thought about planting a 1/2 acre of straight chicory, but I'd rather have a durana-chicory combination.

But here's the catch... and I could be wrong as sin about this!
There could be a problem with controlling weeds in this combo.
I'd control grasses with sethoxydim. But what could I use for broadleaf weeds???

I use Butyrac 200 quite a bit, but I think it will zap the chicory.
Recommendations??

keeping it clipped on a regular basis will take care of the broadleafs. Here is a clover chicory plot that was clipped every 2 to 3 weeks depending on growth.
Clover_Chicory2.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michauxii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a couple of years, my deer have decided they like chicory.. I mean, really like it!
I've thought about planting a 1/2 acre of straight chicory, but I'd rather have a durana-chicory combination.

I'd control grasses with sethoxydim. But what could I use for broadleaf weeds???

Recommendations?? </div></div>

For grass control you'll be a lot happier with Clethodim Select 2-EC or Select Max then you will with Sethoxydim (Poast Plus)

but broadleaves I would take Central Iowa's advice and use clipping to keep broadleaves under control.

Raptor herbicide is pretty pricey but it is approved for both chicory, alfalfa and clover (among others)

Personally I like using clipping and Select as my weed control methods. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michauxii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a couple of years, my deer have decided they like chicory.. I mean, really like it!

Recommendations?? </div></div>

For grass control you'll be a lot happier with Clethodim Select 2-EC or Select Max then you will with Sethoxydim (Poast Plus)

but broadleaves I would take Central Iowa's advice and use clipping to keep broadleaves under control.

Raptor herbicide is pretty pricey but it is approved for both chicory, alfalfa and clover (among others)

Personally I like using clipping and Select as my weed control methods. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Exactly what Dbl. Tree said.
I cut it a couple of times as needed and sprayed with Select 2-EC.

DSC05895.jpg

DSC05896.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michauxii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where on the internet can I order some 2-EC? </div></div>

In this area one can generally find Select or generic Arrow at Ag supply outlets or we contact nannyslayer here on IW.

Here is an ebay source for the generic version of Select: ARROW 2EC

Either way just ask for Clethodim and you'll be very happy with the results. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom