Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clear Cutting?

Crimson Arrows

I am considering doing a clear cut on my farm in an area that has mature hardwoods but otherwise is essentially tough to hunt. It has no natural funnels but is a PERFECT place to have a giant thicket for whitetails as it borders a 6 care alfalfa field I have.

Having it as is works well now-but I can't help but think how much better it could be by doing a clear cut. Its hard thinking I am "chopping down" my trees but it truly is for the benefit of my farm and wildlife. I have had TSI, plots, a 30 acre sanctuary in the middle and JUST got approved for 11 acres of CP 25 CRP this next year through 2025.

So, does one clear cut a 30 care section of timber, do parts etc? Any thoughts are appreciated!

At a bare minimum, I would DEFINITELY consult with a qualified forester before clear cutting 30 acres. If it were me, and I do not have a picture of your land in mind so this is pure spitballing here, I would think about some sort of combination of tactics.

Maybe clear cut a portion, after working with someone experienced in the planning stages that is, to allow for very wooly regrowth. Maybe try to establish some savannah habitat on another section. On another section I would leave the oaks, for acorn production, and create a few clover foodplots underneath them, etc. Leave some as-is too, that way you have a real nice variety of habitats.

Are you leaving the trees on the ground after you cut them down? I would probably rather have several 1-2 acres areas that have had all the trees dropped in them than one large 30 acre area. If you dropped all the trees, left them lay, and let the new browse grow up, it would be some awesome cover right away and for the next several decades.

The absolute best habitat pieces here are properties that have been clearcut within 5-10 yrs. The new thick growth seems to provide cover for all species of wildlife. I realize that I am in a different area therefore native trees vary greatly. In assuming things are relatively the same in terms of succession from here to there I'd consider leaving a type of mature tree up (maybe oaks). It seems that whenever private landowners here get the foresters in they always seem to leave the spruce trees which gives some areas of cover while regeneration is new. They also just limb the trees where they knock them down and it turns into a jungle in short time.

Thanks guys. Great ideas and you all have confirmed what I've always thought in that the "nastiest" timber I have seen holds the best deer hunting-and the most "beautiful' often is the toughest to hunt. Will ABSOLUTELY be working with a forester that I trust-but always get great input here which I always appreciate. Thanks!

Rather than clearing a 30 acre block I would concentrate my efforts on south facing slopes that border creeks and drainages. Creek/river bottoms are natural funnels and adding cover for a deer to bed facing the afternoon sun with a predominant North/West wind at their back to alert them of danger is a hard combo to beat. :way:

I just purchased a 10 acre section of property (sitting on it in the deer stand as I type this) this last may..it is sandwhiched in the middle of a big contiguous chunk of timber.. mine has been logged and around me has not.. its amazing how much thicker my little section is than everything around it..I would def recommend taking out some bigger trees to promote the new growth.. just remember to mark some trees u want to keep and not cut for stand locations.. there sure are a lot of stumps here inplaces I wish I had a stand

Questions that need answering before giving a response are: What species of trees are present and what type of habitat surrounds you? A clear cut can be beneficial but can also hurt you in the long run. If you have good quality oaks, don't forget the hard mast benefit they provide. It takes a day to cut trees down, takes years to grow them. I agree, get a forester involved before jumping into something this major! You are better off trying to provide a mix of habitats on your farm than getting into the monoculture game. Some small clearings or thick shrub plantings might do you more good. Good luck in whatever you decide.

For me, I would do 2-5 acre sections at a time to have it in different successions as any one time. That would be more beneficial for all wildlife than 30 acres of the same thing.

I would not clear cut, but leave the oaks with good crowns for mast production right in the bedding area. Definitely get a consulting forester involved from the get go and let them know your intentions and what you are looking for so they can steer you in the right direction.

Thanks guys. Will be talking to a Forester after deer season. I agree with all the advice and will look at the best option.

Top Bottom