Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clear Lake Yellow Bass

blake

Life Member
new_header.jpg

<span style="color: #000099">“The Iowa DNR's Mission:
"To conserve and enhance our natural resources in cooperation with individuals and organizations to improve the quality of life for Iowans and ensure a legacy for future generations.”</span>
news.gif

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>From the Iowa DNR :</span>
Cooperative Yellow Bass Draw Winter Anglers to Clear Lake

LBF_Yellow_Bass.gif

CLEAR LAKE - The plan was simple. Meet my brother Sterling on Clear Lake, drill a couple of holes, do some Saturday afternoon ice fishing.

Although late winter angling success has been spotty across much of northern Iowa, Clear Lake has offered a somewhat more predictable venue due to its well known, and generally cooperative, population of keeper-sized yellow bass. As fame of the continued success has spread across the region, crowds of hopeful winter anglers have continued to grow. This was never more obvious than when I arrived at Farmer's Beach access. At 4:30 in the afternoon, the ice was as crowded as a discount store parking lot. Quickly scanning the nearest cluster of more than 100 ice shacks, I failed to see my brother's truck. With sundown little more than an hour away, I decided to pick my way through the crowd.

The brisk west wind cut like a knife. Although most anglers were already enjoying the toasty confines of propane heated portable shelters, many were still arriving and in the process of setting up. A smaller number of shackless fishing enthusiasts remained in the open, braving the elements while perched atop overturned plastic buckets.

There were a lot of new faces. Jeff Passer, for example, had just arrived from Kiester, Minn. After his normal ice fishing haunts had "gone stale," Passer decided to give Clear Lake a try. This was his first excursion to the lake. Same was true for Brad Anderson and Tony Finch. Although the pair was still managing to extract a few bluegills from local pits near Waterloo, they had "heard the stories" and decided to give Clear Lake's yellow bass a "serious, weekend effort." If the fish cooperated, they'd stay an extra day.

Although I would have liked to stop and visit with more anglers, the clock was ticking and there was still no sign of my brother. I finally broke down and resorted to the cell phone. As it turned out, Sterling had migrated to the outer fringe of the angling cluster. Although yellow bass populations remained heavily concentrated during early winter, weeks of intense angling pressure is spreading the schools out. Moving to an area slightly less populated by anglers might improve the bite, my brother reasoned. The theory proved accurate.

Sterling had already drilled a couple of extra holes by the time I arrived at his shack. All I had to do was settle in and bait up. The fish were becoming active and he already one thick, 11-incher in the bucket. But the yellows were hitting light and we each missed two or three half hearted bites before landing another fish. Then, just as the sun vanished behind Lone Tree Point, the bass exhibited an immediate and aggressive transformation. The Sunset Frenzy was on!

Instead of making light taps and then letting the minnow go again, the yellows suddenly meant business. It was suppertime. Schools were on the prowl and "No Prisoners" was their credo.

Going with a single rod, I hooked three yellows in a row and then missed the next good hit. The action was only limited by how fast we were able to unhook and re-bait.

The frenzy continued until darkness engulfed the lake. Then --- as is the case every night --- the bite ended as quickly as it had begun. This fact was not lost on the masses, as was evidenced by the sound of dozens of truck engines roaring to life. Within minutes, the red glow of retreating tail lights stretched from the middle of the lake to shore. The scene resembled a bouncing, mile-long string of outdoor Christmas bulbs. It's the Clear Lake version of rush hour traffic.

Everyone had the same idea, it seemed: time to head home and cook fish. If there's any better table fare than a fresh caught mess of yellow bass, I'd like to know what it is.

IF YOU GO:
To cash in on the best of Clear Lake's yellow bass action, fish the lake's west end in a line between Farmer's Beach [on the south shore] and the Baptist Camp [located on the north shore].

Most fish are located on the flats near the center of the lake in around 10 feet of water.

Successful anglers are using light line, pencil bobbers, and teardrop or small lead head jigs baited with fathead minnows.

Best action will occur at daybreak and again at sunset, with sunset typically the best. Don't expect many hits during the day. Although the sunset bite may prove to be red hot, the action may only last for 20 to 30 minutes. Anglers are currently reporting poor success after dark.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>1-800-532-2020</span>
TURN IN POACHERS!
tiplogo.gif

TIP

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif
PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

Top Bottom