Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleared Timber Ridge ?

MO-APE

Picking up a new property, has anyone had success turning a flat, timbered ridge into a food plot? I will hire a dozer to do the heavy lifting, just wanted to hear about any successes or failures. The area in question will be an acre to two.

Potential lack of moisture being on extreme high ground could be an issue given some of our recent summers. Do you know the soil type? The tree roots could be hard on a disc if your dealing with large trees.

On the positive side you can really funnel deer with all the cleared lumber. It will allow you to dictate some great stand locations.

Potential lack of moisture being on extreme high ground could be an issue given some of our recent summers. Do you know the soil type? The tree roots could be hard on a disc if your dealing with large trees. On the positive side you can really funnel deer with all the cleared lumber. It will allow you to dictate some great stand locations.

Not sure on the soil type yet, only a few miles from the Mississippi River so probably manageable. Great call on the moisture, or lack thereof.

Picking up a new property, has anyone had success turning a flat, timbered ridge into a food plot? I will hire a dozer to do the heavy lifting, just wanted to hear about any successes or failures. The area in question will be an acre to two.

I have semi-successfully created 4 timbered ridges or knobs into decent to very good food plots. If I knew then, what I know now...

1. PH is likely to be off. Definitely soil test and amend as necessary with lime.

2. See #2 above. :D

3. When you think you have cleared enough trees on the perimeter of the plot...start over and clear some more. Trees block sunlight, suck ground moisture and drop leaves and limbs all over the place.

Other than that, you can give the deer in your area a very nice, secure plot "in the timber".

I have semi-successfully created 4 timbered ridges or knobs into decent to very good food plots. If I knew then, what I know now... 1. PH is likely to be off. Definitely soil test and amend as necessary with lime. 2. See #2 above. :D 3. When you think you have cleared enough trees on the perimeter of the plot...start over and clear some more. Trees block sunlight, suck ground moisture and drop leaves and limbs all over the place. Other than that, you can give the deer in your area a very nice, secure plot "in the timber".

Thanks a million!

Top Bottom