Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climber questions

Fishbonker

Life Member
I know I shouldn't change horses in the middle of a race, but.....I'm not seeing any deer from any of my stands anymore. Somebody was using one of my stands so I have to assume its over hunted. I shot a button buck (I thought it was a doe) from another and missed a nice buck from the third. I think I'm pretty well busted. I have come to the conclusion that a climber is the way to go. I'll just have to get over my knee shaking trepidation of using anything but a ladder stand. I have been looking at catologs and the choices are staggering. What I'd like to know is what system works best? Cable, rubber strap or chain? It seems that rubber strap with cam would be about the easiest to work. I also need all day comfort. What can I say? I'm a wuss.

I throw myself upon the altar of everybodies vast experience and hope that I can be shown the way to the promised land. If anybody out there has an opinion on climbers, I'd like to hear it. I've seen enough squirrels and birds, I need to start seeing deer again.

Thanks,

The 'Bonker

I am using an API now, it is safe, easy to use and comfortable, some friends of mine use the ole man stands and love them. the only negative I have, and I mainly use hang on portables!, is that I have to stand to shoot my bow out of the climber. Other than that they seem good for certain situations. You will sweat some carrrying them and putting them up, mainly the walks in. Spend some money and get a good one from the get go and you will be money ahead! Good Hunting!

My API grandslam works great for me, but I wouldn't want to carry it great distances. Don't forget to carry a small saw with you so you can cut limbs out of your way as you go. Good luck.

There are a lot of good ones. I would recommend getting one that has heel straps, they make climbing easier and safer. I use a Summit Cobra XLS, it works great. Reasonably lightweight, open front so you can shoot sitting down, easy to attach to the tree, quiet, grips the tree very well, and extremely comfortable. I've actually climbed Sycamore trees with it. Don't know if you've ever climbed one, but they are basically a steel pole with limbs. Amen to not forgetting your saw. About the first time you have to cut limbs with a pocket knife, you won't forget it again.

Bonker

I have the API Superstar, i got it because it has a footrest/gunrest and i do muzzleloader hunting, its a great stand. I'm working tonight at Scheel's in the Coralridge Mall, come in and see me and I'll take you through all our climbers if that's the way you want to go...ask for Matt. We have Ol' Man, API's, and Lone Wolf. Personally I think the API's are the best, you can get on a 24 inch tree with them if need be. There's too much information on all the different stands to write it down. From what I've heard Summit makes a really good climber also.

I spent the money and went with a Summit viper.Its not to bad to carry and I'm a small man.But when I get up the tree with ease and then sit down I tell myself that I love it.I would recomend it to anyone.Don't go cheap,just buy one.It will last a long time.

I bought a summit cobra this year. Great stand, lightweight, and comfortable. Has everything the api bowhunter has, but the cable is the way to go for me instead of the wrapped chain. Either stand is a good choice.
CRITRGITR

I have an Arrow Starr, open front. It only weighs 16lbs. so it is easy to carry. No matter what kind you buy keep them hooked together when climbing, and spend the extra money and buy a Seat of the pants harness and use it faithfully. It is nothing to get 15 to 20 feet up in a tree. I carry my camo clothes in a sentprof bag and dress after I am up in the stand, just becareful and do not drop any thing. Little Al

Fishbonker, I have a Summit Viper and all I can say is wow! It is extremely comfortable, quiet and most importantly fits together and packs much quieter than my buddy's API Shooting Star. I would probably recommend the Summit cobra for bowhunting because I have to stand up to shoot over the front bar. I also recommend purchasing the side pouches that summit sells as accessories. I keep range finder, binocs, calls, scents, pruning set and rope for pulling up my bow in there. Any time I feel the urge, I grab my stand, bow and scentlok bag and leave in a matter of minutes.Another bonus with summit is they include a seat 'o the pants safety harness. None of my fixed stands are currently over 12 ft high. I feel comfortable in my climber at 2x that. It does take a little longer to climb a tree as quietly as a fixed stand, but with practice that improves. It also packs very well. That is probably it biggest advantage over the API's which are excellent stands.
Good Hunting.

I love my API, it is the most comfortable stand I have. A friend of mine has a Summit climber and he is pretty happy with that also. I don't have any experience with other brands, but it seems to me that you can't go wrong with either the API or the Summit.

I have an API grandslam, Summit Viper, and Ol'man Grand Vision. I like the Summit the best. It weighs about the same but is better balanced than the API. The comfort is the same in both. The footrest in a must.

The Ol'man squeeks, I even changed the bushing kit. I would imagine the temps. in Iowa would even compound the problem.

The API is nice but the shrink tubing wears to fast.

Bonker

I forgot to tell you last night, with that stand make sure you tie each one of those cotter pins to the stand with something. If you drop one of them you'll be in a world of poo as they are black and blend in REALLY easy! Any other questions you know where to reach me.

oh yeah, thanks again!

I own both an API and a Summit Vipor. The API is lighter and easier to carry into the timber but the Summit is bulky but more comfortable of the two. The API is in order when I'm back in the timber aways and Summit for in close.

Thanks for all the imput. I took Muddy up on the tutorial offer and ended up buying an API Grand Slam Super Star. Had it in a tree this AM after I finally got it put together (wasn't that hard) and I think its gona be a good stand. Went the five or six feet up in the tree with ease, a little more tweaking with the height of the seat and I think I'll be ready to go. Spent the afternnon fabricating a bow holder for it. Any excuse to hot glue steel toghther. The only problem I can forsee is at my current rate of gain I won't fit between the rails in a couple more years.

Thanks again Muddy, you ain't as dumb as you are young.
wink.gif

Note to coonass, I bet there isn't a whole lota difference between Lee County Iowa and any Parish in Loozyana.

Thanks again for everybodies tips.

The 'Bonker

Bonker,

Ya got to watch them guys at Scheels at Coralridge. They have all those cool displays and are more than happy to carry your new tree stand to the front door, (So your wife does not see it untill you get home) I bought a Grand Slam superstar at Scheel's early this year and love it. It's the best stand I have. Hope you enjoy it!

-Phil

iabowhunter

you make us scheel's boys sound like politicians or something!!
wink.gif
not only will i carry stuff downstairs to help hide it from a wife but i will also dismantle it to get it into the trunk and sneak it into the parking lot for you!!

the customer is ALWAYS right.
grin.gif

bonker

keep me informed on how well that stand is workin for ya! come spring i'll explain to you how you "need" one of those double bull T5 blinds as well!
wink.gif

Muddy,
Politicians! I've got more respect for you than that! Don't wait till spring to explain about the double bull blind, I am kind of interested myself. Maybe Santa will be nice to me this Christmas......

-Phil

Yeah, they gave me a lampshade to put on the barrel of the gun I bought, so the wife would think it was a lamp.

Got it home and it wouldn't stand up, told her it was broke and said I took it back, hey hey hey.

Top Bottom