Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover planting - when to plant?

stevep

I've got a few fields that I've finally had a chance to spray and clear off, is it too late to plant it with clover over the next few weeks? If so, when would you plant it for a fall plot?

I'm not really in a hurry, and would rather do it right if waiting is the best option.

Thanks.

Steve

I would personally wait until fall. If money is not an object take the gamble and plant.

Fall is better. Later Aug. BUT- if you really want to have fall clover to attract deer PLUS you do have the time and possibly $ to waste, you could try some now. I would go for a full acre so if some areas don't make it (soil differences, quality, etc) you can at least keep the best area that did survive and re-do the rest in the fall. Goes against conventional wisdom planting now BUT can be done, will depend on rain, soil quality, etc obviously. personally, I'd seed it extremely heavy (some disagreement on that too BUT plant it heavy). I'd also add several different types of clovers.... whites, reds, berseem, alsike and even some alfalfa if you wanted a little. Each has some ups and downs and will help diversify if failure challenges. Can explain more on each if needed. could get on Welters and order several acres worth so you had it for later as well. Seed heavy, do it right & then just realize you may have a failure. Absolutely can work though, I even had success on a poor timed clover plot I did for goofing off on new farm- last year, drought year! But- I wasn't worried if it did fail, no biggy. Obvious other plan in ANY case is your late summer planting. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll be planting it all late August. Not in a hurry and definitely not interested in wasting $$$$.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I'll be planting it all late August. Not in a hurry and definitely not interested in wasting $$$$.

Steve

If you aren't in a hurry, then I would definitely read through Dbltree's Clover thread and plan on a rye plot this late summer/early fall with clover included. You will have rye this fall and almost fail safe crop of clover then next spring.

My New Clover Planted This Spring Did Awesome, Not A Weed In It. I Tilled It Up, Let The Weeds start Growing, Nuked It With Roundup, Then Tilled It Again. It Looks Alot Better Than My Fall Planting.
IMG_20130620_105057_888.jpg

IMG_20130620_105110_779.jpg

Top Bottom