Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover Plot

eiowaarcher

I got a new farm last fall and I'm wanting to plant clover for deer to eat this spring/summer. However I did not mow or disc the area last fall so it looks like I will be spring planting it. I have always planted clover in the fall and then frost seeded again in early spring but never started a new plot in the spring. The plot i will be planting is currently over grown grasses. What is the best way to go about doing this? When to spray? Disc? Plant with a cover crop like oats? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would wait till the grass greens back up and spray with glyphosate, then disc, I also added lime after that last year, then disced again, and planted my clover, had a very good stand that made it thru the drought pretty decent and took off again with some late summer rains, I planted the clover around April 20th or so, I've always had good results with whitetail institute clover

nemohunter said:
I would wait till the grass greens back up and spray with glyphosate, then disc, I also added lime after that last year, then disced again, and planted my clover, had a very good stand that made it thru the drought pretty decent and took off again with some late summer rains, I planted the clover around April 20th or so, I've always had good results with whitetail institute clover

Im assuming that after I spray glyphosate I wait for the grass to die and then disc it up? Where do I get glyphosate?

Glyphosate is the generic for roundup, any coop should have it, I burned mine after it died so I didn't have to disc thru all the dead grass

nemohunter said:
Glyphosate is the generic for roundup, any coop should have it, I burned mine after it died so I didn't have to disc thru all the dead grass

If I burned it would I still have to disc it or would I get away with just dragging it?

nemohunter said:
Dragging would probably work, I would think as long as there is good seed to soil contact you would be ok

Ok thanks a lot for the help! Ill let you know how it turns out!

Top Bottom