Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover: Which is better?

Deer preference, a white such as Ladino, Alice White, Kopu II, Durana, etc - I think you're almost splitting hairs.
Alsike is a good addition because it does well on wet soils if you're planting any of those.
Deer do like Red clover and red has some advantages in other scenarios as well.

So, really, I still prefer to use all of them. If no wet ground I could leave out the alsike. If putting in during spring while working the ground, I'd for sure add berseem or crimson clover. Both cheap, fast growers and deer like em.

I agree with Skip - it's six to one / half a dozen the other. Get some good thick bedding cover near by and you can't go wrong with either clover!

Thanks, I have some red to blend in but I know that is gone once frost comes. I hope for the white to last a couple yrs.

Thanks, I have some red to blend in but I know that is gone once frost comes. I hope for the white to last a couple yrs.

Curious: what makes you say this about red? We've never had perenial red clover plots. Always white. I frost seeded some red clover plots in yesterday just for something different and we had some red clover seed given to us. Are there some cons to red clover vs white?

Many if not most red clovers are perennial so not sure that they are "gone" after a frost. I get the impression that white clovers tend to last longer than reds but they usually aren't an annual like Berseem Clover.

Many if not most red clovers are perennial so not sure that they are "gone" after a frost. I get the impression that white clovers tend to last longer than reds but they usually aren't an annual like Berseem Clover.

Thank you, I understand about red clovers being a perenial plant - just curious if people noticed them lasting longer into the winter vs whites. I had never heard of this before but was just curious.

Just a few red v. white clover thoughts from my experiences...

I agree with those that say that the location of the clover plot is more important than whether it is red or white clover in the plot, deer will eat both types just fine.

I have deliberately chosen red clover for planting now a few times when I was pretty sure that I would be tearing up that same clover in 6-9 months to replant something else, like brassicas, etc. The only reason for this is that red is cheaper than white, so if I anticipate the clover field as a "temporary" spot, then I will select the cheaper alternative. If I anticipate the field remaining in clover for 2 or more years, I tend to go with white.

Red will tend to grow taller and faster than white and may need to be mowed one or two more times in a summer than white. So if you are "mower constrained" or live a long ways from your plot(s), white is a better choice IMO. (Lately, our super dry summers have suppressed normal growth for about every food plot option it seems. So results may vary depending on how "normal" your rainfall is in a year, etc.)

I have not noticed that red lasts better than white, or vice versa, into the fall/winter. It's possible I suppose, but I have never thought to check for that.

It does seem to me that a red clover plot will last about 3'ish years and a white clover spot may go an extra year or two. But even that is hard to say for me because there are so many other variables present.

I just assumed red did not last long because dbltree always recommends it to be tilled under in the fall for manure. I had some good red clover in places last summer, but it tended to lose out late summer to weeds. True ,,the dry spells have taken a toll on my trying to get clover to take ahold last 3 summers. Maybe this year will be different? I hope?

I just assumed red did not last long because dbltree always recommends it to be tilled under in the fall for manure. I had some good red clover in places last summer, but it tended to lose out late summer to weeds. True ,,the dry spells have taken a toll on my trying to get clover to take ahold last 3 summers. Maybe this year will be different? I hope?

I am pretty sure that Dbltree recommends red clover in this case because it is cheaper than white, and if he knows it is going to be tilled under for a fall planting, then you might as well save a couple of bucks on the cheaper red.

Red has a few advantages... It's a little more drought tolerant, I think it does a little better on rough soils (but I've seen Alice white do extraordinary on anything as well). Certain times of year deer really seem to like the red. It's cheaper and it's high yielding while allowing a lot of mass to be tilled in later if you do so. Really though, I'll always put some red in for a variety of reasons like that BUT I don't think it's making a gigantic difference. I like some variety & different ups/downs to the buffet planted.

If a guy really wanted to try - could separate some small areas and put red in one and white in another.

Because of expense, I do put more White clover in the areas I will not be tilling in - those are my permanent clover areas. And, overall, I do like white a little better for what deer prefer to gobble down from what I see. Areas I'll be tilling immediately later, yes, I incorporate more red & berseem type clovers.

I am certainly no expert but I can tell you what I saw this past year which was my first time planting clover.

I planted the majority of my field in medium red clover from the local coop because it was a lot cheaper. I planted the remainder in Alice white clover from Welters.

The Alice was in the back portion of the field, farthest from the road and presumably the area the deer would prefer. The heaviest use however was on the red clover in the middle of the field.

I don't know if there are other reasons that made that section of red clover more attractive but the red has drawn more use than the white so far.

I did just frost seed some Alice into the area of red clover so hopefully the mix will be even more attractive to the deer.

I will say that I was amazed that the clover has drawn deer all winter long. I am planning on planting the Doubletree mixes this year to provide better year round food and hopefully draw more deer to my property.

Top Bottom