Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold Water Musky

Thefrgt10

PMA Member
Heading north a ways to do some musky fishing on Sunday. Me and the old man are still pretty new at this but he did manage to catch 2 a couple weekends ago. A 43" and a 39". Ill throw some pictures up here later of the fish. One was a bit deformed and skinny from what looked like he had his top jaw taken off by a boat prop or something.

The water temps are quite a bit different at this point then 2 weeks ago. I got a confirmation that the temp is hovering at around 40 degrees right now.

You guys have any suggestions for baits or approaches once the temps dip down to what they are now?

Any info would be great and I will for sure share our results from the day.

Personally, I am a rookie when it comes to muskie fishing. Although I did catch my first one in August when our family took a vacation to LOTW and I have fished for them now a few times with someone that is quite accomplished and experienced. Most of what I know has come via this dedicated muskie fisherman that I have fished with a total of four days in the past two years at LOTW. I have now netted several big ones for him though! :D

Nevertheless, a few things I have learned from others related to late fall muskie fishing...

BIG baits, bigger than the normal big baits. Not 8" or 9" long lures, think 12" to 14" monster lures. (Shoot, I am normally happy catching fish the size of these late fall lures!)

I talked to a pair of diehard muskie fishermen in late September on LOTW and they said they get their biggest fish of the year by trolling big baits in late October. The lead guy in that boat told us that he was recently featured on the cover of one of the top muskie magazines, so I think he knew his salt, but who knows.

I knew that was coming Mikey...Ill be out tomorrow morning and have some vacation coming real soon. The time is near. One last trip in the boat before freeze is necessary tho :)

I suggest Magnum or Pounder Bulldawgs. Turnover is likely done so they fish could be anywhere buy I'd probably start deep. My buddy got a 49" last night in the Minneapolis metro on a Bull Dawg.

Top Bottom