Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold weather gear?

ironwood

I am in the market for some new cold weather clothing and am interested in some input from you all. If Limb would simply let me know what he is currently using and what size I could just go get that.
grin.gif

I like the Gamehide brand bibs and parka I am currently using but they have seen better days. This stuff is extremely warm but bulky (holofill). I am wondering if the new thinner hi Tec parka systems offer has much protection and warmth. I saw one offered by Cabelas that had a zip out liner in the bibs as well as the coat. That looked very versatile. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

I bought a pair of Cabelas Revolution Fleece Dry-plus pants last year, insulated models. I really like them. Not really fleece like you think of, no problem with burs, very quiet and warm. Not a bad price, $99, and they cut 'em any length you want. They kept me warm last year in late ML during single digits for hours.
Also bought a Columbia jacket that was very warm as well, but it was a discontinued item, and a hair noisy.

For foot wear I bought a pair of Cabelas extreme pac boots. I've always had trouble with cold feet but these did the trick, and they are actually pretty comfortable and easy to walk in, not like the pac boots of years ago.

Good luck and pray for REAL cold if your hunting late ML. I love the look on peoples faces when you say "Man I wish it would get down to about zero for a couple weeks".

where in the world have you been ironwood? anyways i myself have had great luck with anything chamois! i just bought a new chamois suit from cabelas(pants and shirt) and there is nothing like it, it requires little clothing underneath, no bulkiness, very quiet, and believe it or not it holds up well in the rain. besides it is extremely comfortable and very affordable, not like evry other piece of clothing in hunting!

I'll tell ya what. I bought Cabelas "Whitetail extreme" stuff 3 years ago when I made a side trip to AK. It is the warmest stuff I've ever owned. It's even to warm for our temps around here most of the time. But late season muzzleloader it sure is nice. Got the pants and coat. They have tons of pockets and zippers.

Limb you know more than anything I want what you use but isn't that stuff a little noisy. I have the boot covers and Madisonb&c uses the glove system. They are great but the stiffness, or how ever you describe the reflective layer, turn me off when thinking about that over my whole body. I may need to take a harder look at it.

Does anyone have an opinion on Dry-Plus and Cabela's removable heavy-weight fleece liners?

Splitty, I've been a little busy with various commitments. I'll have a knee scoped on Thursday so you'll see me catching up. I hope my timing is right for a complete recovery before the youth deer season.

Cabelas MT050 whitetail clothing is top notch, gore tex, scent lok if you want it and thinsulate......

Top Bottom