Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold!

loneranger

I keep reading forecasts that hint at,,,I quote-"Some of the coldest air of the Spring to hit next weekend". They do not say exactly how cold yet, but I am worried. Seems always to do this down here in S-Iowa each Spring. We get warm spells that tempt fruit tree buds to open and them, WHAM-,a frigid snap hits and they are toast.

Between the "yo-yo" spring temps and the frequent summer droughts...I have all but given up on maintaining apple trees on my farm. I think I have one tough tree still alive, but not because I am doing anything special for it at this point, it is holding on by its' own strength.

You may want to set up some outdoor heaters Ed! :D

Same thing happened last Spring. Almost exact up and down temps, except my buds were a bit more mature. First week of April last Spring a couple nights dropped to 24'. The buds survived. If it drops to the teens its over. So far Weather Services are unsure how cold the blast will be. Could aim farther east. I know why most major fruit orchards are north. Cold hangs on up north until June, then, Summer finally takes control. Southern Iowa and MO are places that can warm up fast and also drop into the freezer Just as fast. I will just pray and cross fingers. In good years my work pays off. Last Fall just one of my apple trees gave me 12 bushels. I gave lots away.

For any who care,,and I think not many. Minneapolis forecasts record low-High temps next weekend. Think my fruit is Toast, this year.

Great more nasty weather. We just got nailed with 14.1 inches of snow here in sioux city and its snowing again.

Reading that Chicago may struggle to get to 30 degrees for highs next Sunday. I am just hoping this blast aims farther east than Iowa.:confused:

Top Bottom