Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Confused

muddy

I've been trying to keep up on all these new proposed laws and the tweaking of current laws and man, it has me running in circles. I want to put my two cents worth into the senators and on the public comment page but I really don't know where to start. As I read, then re-read the posts and hear peoples opinions it only gets worse. What's on the table that REALLY needs to be addressed? I can only assume that I'm not the only one out there that is sitting here scratching his head?
confused.gif

I'm with ya muddy. It's difficult enough to understand some of the stuff in the regs booklet. But with all the political jargon/spin that is talked about, it is definately enough to drive you a little crazy.
wall.gif

I'm afraid to say it Muddy, but so am I. I had a hard enough time understanding the old license rules in regards to what seasons and methods of take I could use. Now It is even worse. I have refrained from putting a comment on the DNR page because at this point I don't feel I can make an informed comment, other than people I respect say its a bad thing. Maybe that is enough, but I just don't get it. Everybody is trying to explain it, and I thank them, but I just get lost in the rhetoric.

There has got to be a simpler way to write rules and regs. I'd like to think I have an average command of the english language as well as average reading/comprehension skills. I try to read the licensing regs, new and old, and I might as well be reading a foreign language.

Perhaps it is a matter of governing through obfuscation?

The 'Bonker

So I'm in the boat with 'Bonker. Great.
wink.gif
J/K 'B.

What really confuses me are the "numbers" in front of all the rules. HF "God knows what" is about all I can get out of it and then they throw in the different versions, so you get HF GodKnowsWhat v 1.3.85 that pertains to, you guessed it, GodKnowsWhat.

crazy.gif

If you have read any of my posts, then you know I am equally confused....hardly any consolation of course
icon_rolleyes[1].gif
That's why I count on Randy and Willie to try and make some sense of it all. It's very obvious that certain parties want nothing more then to treat us like mushrooms....

It seems to me that two items stand out:
<font color="blue">
3. Removes restrictions on who can buy antlerless licenses for the early muzzleloader season. Also removes restrictions on the antlerless licenses someone who hunts in the early muzzleloader season can obtain.</font>

This means basically what it says...we virtually ALL can hunt antlerless deer in the Early Muzzleloader season! Is that what we want? A week or so before the rut...EVERYONE is out driving deer, all perfectly legal...one guy has an anydeer tag, so the big boy you've been watching on your trail cam all summer...kiss him good bye!

<font color="red">
4. Proposed rule would allow hunters to buy November antlerless season licenses beginning on August 15th rather than making them wait until November 11th.</font>

The Thanksgiving antlerless season was supposed to be a temporary thing and the object was that if the quota sold out, there would be no TG season. This basically makes it permanent! Again is this what you want...a few days before shotguns season...from now and evermore..the guns will be blazing, bucks will be killed by temptation, survivors pre-warned, etc. etc.

Please don't let confusion lead you to do nothing, although I certainly understand your hesitation and frustrations on what to say and why. <font color="green">

1) We should want current Early Season ML rules left as is.

2) We should want current restrictions on purchasing TG tags left as is. </font>

I’m not the best person to clear anything up, but here goes. There are two items that the IBA objects, most of the rule changes are for the better.
Some of the rule changes were numbered and then they changed the numbers and reworded just to confuse everyone, with is what they wanted.

First change would allow you to purchase doe tags and use them in the Early ML season. These tags aren’t counted against the 7,500, so the limited number of ML tags would become pretty much unlimited.

Here is a short memo; I received from a DNR official.

I strongly question the wisdom in allowing everyone to purchase an
antler less license for the early muzzleloader season regardless of what
season they purchased their any-sex license for. One of the primary reasons
we have the quality of deer in this state we do is we've never had a major
gun season prior to or during the rut. By encouraging more people to hunt
early muzzleloader under the guise of killing more deer, we will eventually
have more people hunting that season, wanting more and more any-sex
licenses, moving the season closer to and eventually into November. In
addition, this could encourage the closing of more properties to some
hunters as individual owners become more possessive of this early
opportunity. Some counties are already approaching reduced deer numbers
and in the next 1-2 years more will follow.
This is a short-sighted change in my opinion.

Secondly, they want people to buy doe tags for Nov. season in Aug instead of Nov 12th like last year. Last year if doe tags in your county sold out before Nov 12th there wasn’t a Nov season in your county. Being able to purchase the tags for Nov season in Aug. will guarantee Nov. gun hunt in every county.
If a county sells out of doe tags before Nov. 12th, there isn’t a biological reason for the Nov season. It becomes another self serving rule change.

You don’t need the number of the rule change. Just two quick comments, the NRC &amp; DNR will know what you are talking about.

I/we strongly object to the following rule changes

1) Allowing unrestricted doe tags in early ML season. Keep current restrictions.
2) Allowing doe tags for Nov. season to be purchased Aug. 15th. Leave purchase date at Nov. 12th

OK. Now I think I have it. In the past there were only 7500 early ML tags. Now they are gonna give out the 7500 either sex, PLUS doe only tags to whom ever wants to “smoke” a doe. Not being a ML hunter (YET) I always glossed over that part of the regs. I couldn’t even tell you when the early season is. Is the reason for the proposed changes something like “Well, the shotgunners and the bow hunters get to shoot all the does they want why can’t we”?

And the November doe season tags going on sale the 15th is only gonna make me buy as many as I can up front. When can I buy extra doe tags for either bow or shotgun? Is it on the 15th of August or Oct. 1st? I can’t remember form last fall when I bought all of my shotgun tags. Is the reason for the proposed change something like “Gee its hard to plan a family hunt if I have to wait until Nov. 11th, two weeks before the season, to see if any tags are left”?

Who exactly is pushing the changes? For my money, its all about the money. Not to cast aspersions, but who stands to gain from the changes? ML manufactures? The sporting goods industry as a whole? Is there a lobbyist for either group? I know Knights are made here in Iowa so they have the chance to gain a chunk of change if the proposed rules are enacted. The more lead that flies, the more money the slug manufactures make. Along the same lines, look at the late center fire season. Who stands to gain from that? How may hunters went out and bought a new rifle just for that season? How much more ammo was sold? Follow the money. I think I know where the trail leads.

Thanks Randy and dbltree. You have made it clear, well, as clear as my brain will ever let it be.

I’ll be at Kirkwood on the 18th. I wonder what I’ll wear.

EDIT/ADDED AFTER ORIGINAL POST: Now if you two could make my Garmin etrex Legend C as easy to understand as the proposed rule cahnges.......

The ‘Bonker

Here's the part that really frost's my cookies...(WJS laid out the reasons he was given)

This is from WJS in a previous post...

3. The reason I was given is that it is simpler for hunters and we (the DNR) should let hunters hunt when they want to hunt.

4. Again the reason was that it is simpler and we should let hunters hunt when they want.

(I oppose opening the early muzzleloader season up to everyone and think that the November season licenses should go on sale on Nov 11th.)

As was stated these are just the proposed changes for 2006. You all have a chance to comment on these changes. Please let the DNR know what you think.

In the end we find out that it is one or two individuals who have "power" (aka NRC) that want these changes for their own personal benefit....
mad.gif

This issue is very important, if passed, it will have a long lasting effect on the quality of deer hunting in Iowa. Please take the time to go to the DNR website and fill out your comments on this proposed early muzzleloader season.

I would also urge everyone to try to attend the public forum meetings that are going to be held.

Wildlife Bureau Season Setting - ICN Meetings
April 18, 2006

Scott Community College
500 Belmont Road
BETTENDORF, IA 52722
Room: 210

Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Road
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA 51502
Room 3 - Continuing Ed. Bldg.

Iowa Valley Community College District
3702 South Center Street
MARSHALLTOWN, IA 50158
Room 806 - Continuing Education Center

Chariton High School
501 N Grand
CHARITON, IA 50049
Room: 116

Sioux City Public Library
529 Pierce Street
SIOUX CITY, IA 51101

Kirkwood Community College
6301 Kirkwood Blvd WW
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52406

North Iowa Area Community College
500 College Dr
MASON CITY, IA 50401
Room: 106 - Activity Center

Green Valley Area Education Agency 14
1405 N Lincoln
CRESTON, IA 50801
Room: Turner Room

Spencer National Guard Armory
11 East 23rd Street
SPENCER, IA 51301

Indian Hills Community College
651 Indian Hills Drive
OTTUMWA, IA 52501
Room: Videoconferencing &amp; Training Center

Burlington High School
421 Terrace Dr
BURLINGTON, IA 52601

Dubuque Comm. School District – Forum Building
2300 Chaney
DUBUQUE, IA 52001
Room: Marv O'Hare; Admin. Office; Forum

Valley High School
1140 35th St
WEST DES MOINES, IA 50266
Room: 118

Iowa State University
Scheman Building, Iowa State Center
AMES, IA 50011
Room Number: 160

University of Iowa – 1
At the end of North Madison Street
IOWA CITY, IA 52242
Room: North Hall Room 107

Area Education Agency 267 -- Cedar Falls
3712 Cedar Heights Dr
CEDAR FALLS, IA 50613

Fort Dodge High School
819 N 25th St
FORT DODGE, IA 50501
Room: 12

Luther College
700 College Drive
DECORAH, IA 52101

<font color="blue">On a side note, if any of you would like some help coming up with a comment for the DNR website please send me a PM. With the help of some of other members, I now have several comments drafted. One of them may fit you thoughts and views on this issue.</font>

As dbltree said: [ QUOTE ]
just copy n paste!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think that everyone should at least sign there name, and address to it. At least the name of the town that is in your address. It will have more of an impact.

Thank You,
<font color="green">blake</font>

I'm starting to think we'd have a season to club baby seals if they could sell the tags. Too bad about dove hunting.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that the DNR kinda skipped over any details that they don't want anyone to be aware of in this news release

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did, and that is how they get their agendas passed.
frown.gif

For all of you members living in any of the counties near Creston, Ia., I would like to invite you to join me on April 18th for the DNR ICN public meeting at:

1405 N Lincoln
Creston, Ia. 50801

Please send me a PM if you will try to attend this meeting. It would be great to meet you all in person and get know each other better.
smile.gif

I hope to see you there!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
For all of you members living in any of the counties near Creston, Ia., I would like to invite you to join me on April 18th for the DNR ICN public meeting at:

1405 N Lincoln
Creston, Ia. 50801

Please send me a PM if you will try to attend this meeting. It would be great to meet you all in person and get know each other better.
smile.gif

I hope to see you there!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking I'll have to hit this one:
Indian Hills Community College
651 Indian Hills Drive
OTTUMWA, IA 52501
Room: Videoconferencing &amp; Training Center
I sure would rather go with someone that has been before. Maybe you can clue me in to what goes on and how or if we can participate? Not much of a "public speaker" or anything
blush.gif

I plan on going to the one at, well, I'm not gonna tell ya because if anybody knows I'm gonna show up, they won't. I am the original people repelant.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom