Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Congrats OneCam!

Ghost

Life Member
Congradulations on your opening day Gobbler OneCam! I hope you have more than one tag or that was a short season. Can you share a picture or possibly a short story of the hunt?

Thanks Ghostwalker -

The hunt was fairly exciting - had birds gobbling most morning, even as early as 4:35am.

I was set up in my blind by 4:45 in a known strutting and crossing area that the birds used quit frequently in the area. Approximately 3 toms and a few jakes roosted within 200yrds of my location and I was feeling fairly confident.

At fly down I had a big old tom coming in only to hold up about 25 yards from the blind in some brush, with a gun I could have been done by 6am.

For the next two hours there were occasional gobbles and I had only a few hens come by.

I was planning on leaving at 9am for work but a tom started repeatedly gobbling about 200 yards away. I worked this bird for nearly an hour, but the closest I could get him was 150 yards. He gobbled or double gobbled every 30-60 seconds for this whole time. I tried everything, and after a 20-minute period with out calling I decided to get a little more aggressive.
After my second calling sequence I heard a cluck behind me as I peered through the window I found that there were two different toms and a hen at only 15 yards directly behind me. I quickly closed my open windows and opened the rear windows as I swung and repositioned myself for a shot. The two toms stood at 15 yards somewhat alert as I made a little noise, I quickly drew my bow and shot. The placement was perfect, right were shredder said to shoot, and the bird only made it 15 yards before it went down for good in a matter of seconds.

I used Rocket Slammerheads, which are basically an oversized (1 3/4") stealhead.

Now I'll have to buy another tag and head out in the morning and try to get that big one that was oh so close.

Good luck turkey hunting everyone!
waytogo.gif

Never been my bag. But, your hunt got a little blood pumping through my veins. Maybe I'll have to try it again. Congratulations on bird #1 2003.

Hey, there's no "thumbs up" icon anymore. Oh well, I'm giving you the thumbs up anyway OneCam, way to go on a clean harvest.

By the way, where's the picture??
smile.gif

Congradulations OneCam! A turkey with a bow is a real accomplishment.

Man an I lost in this new forum. I can't find my way to the confrence index page, if the exist anymore.

Top Bottom