Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Controlling giant goldenrod in newly drilled Switchgrass

It appears I have created a very favorable environment for giant goldenrod to thrive in my new 7 acre switchgrass planting. The area was fall sprayed with gly, seed was drilled in late Nov, applied 4-5 qts of atrazine in early April, and sprayed gly again about May 1st. The only green now is a thick, widespread stand of giant goldenrod. Since this is a native perenial plant, is my only option to wait and spray with 2 4-D after the switchgrass grows to the 5-leaf stage? Would mowing the tops off help slow its growth and shading effect? Thanks!

It appears I have created a very favorable environment for giant goldenrod to thrive in my new 7 acre switchgrass planting. The area was fall sprayed with gly, seed was drilled in late Nov, applied 4-5 qts of atrazine in early April, and sprayed gly again about May 1st. The only green now is a thick, widespread stand of giant goldenrod. Since this is a native perenial plant, is my only option to wait and spray with 2 4-D after the switchgrass grows to the 5-leaf stage? Would mowing the tops off help slow its growth and shading effect? Thanks!

I would for sure mow it to hit anything that is not the desired switchgrass that you want.

Mow. You could spray with a heavy dose of atrazine & crop oil as well. Mixed results there but if you have the time and money for the spray- be worth a shot.

Atrazine ??

I was wondering if atrazine would kill this native perennial or not. I have the atrazine and crop oil available, so maybe I'll run a test. Thanks

Top Bottom