Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Converting pasture to habitat?

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
What are some current programs out there that are designed to convert cattle pasture ground to habitat? wheter that be tree or some sort of grasses. We have a few hundred acres of pasture ground that we rent out but really want to turn into wildlife habitat. Thanks, Jordan.

If you have any creek bottom, you can enroll in the CRP Riparain Buffer program. http://www.iowadnr.com/forestry/riparian.html
Not aware of anything else as far as a program. If you want habitat...just take the cows out and if it's anything like our area it will be top notch deer habitat in no time!
You could of course, plant trees in the open areas, but that get's expensive
smirk.gif

We already have some buffer ground in CRP but we are going to put a bunch more in, we are mostly looking for something to help with the expense of planting and not renting the cattle pasture, something like CRP for pasture ground? Thanks

It sounds like you want to get it into something where you will get some cost share or paid for it like the CRP if I am guessing right. I am in the same boat now I had mine in hay for several years and lost out on the crop history which is needed to get into any type of CRP, crops for 4 out of 6 years it is in its 4th year now and I am hoping to be able to get into something for next spring. I did do a riparian buffer near my pond, just need to get the rest into something now. Not making any money farming it!
shocked.gif

We have a TON of buffer around every inch of water or low area on our land and we are putting some more in, we just want it to be a wildlife heaven!

Top Bottom