Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cooking Wild Turkey

Ghost

Life Member
With Iowa Spring turkey season just around the corner, I felt it would be a good time to discuss your favorite way to prepare your bird. There are probably as many ways to fix them as there are ways to hunt them. I know I want to try something new this year.

I like to fillet the breast and cut into 1" cubes, fire up the fish fryer with peanut oil, bread cubes in flour and lemon pepper, fry up with some sliced spuds, and wash down with your favorite beverage.
beerchug.gif

Let's hear what your favorite fix is!

I like to smoke em... but its hard to keep em lit...
evil.gif

I like to cook them in the oven in a bag with some flour and I really do like them smoked. I am going to try one in the old fish fryer this year with some cajun seasoning.

Inject the old turd bird with lemmon butter or cajun seasoning and put him in the smoker at 10 pm, that way at noon the next day he's absolutely perfect. Mmmmmmm, hopefully I don't miss again this year, it's been 2 years since I tasted turkey.

I love them smoked or in a deep fryer but I hate to pluck'em so I steak out the breasts & bone the rest for stir-fry or serve with wild rice.

pharmer,
Do you soak them in hot water before you try to pluck them? We usually put several pans of water on the stove or fish cooker and get it hot. Pour it in a old cooler then dunk the bird and get him good and soaked. Hang him by his feet, put a trash can under him and you can almost wipe the feathers off of him... Works good for us. I agree though it is kind of a pain to pluck them.

Sounds like you got it down good Limb, when I shoot a bird this spring I'll call you and drop him off at "Limb's Pluck-O-Rama" and have you demonstrate your plucking technique.
waytogo.gif

If you send the video as quick as you send the email you were gunna write a week or so ago the feathers will rot off the bird!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Take out the breasts, slice them up into 4 pieces per breast. Let them soak 24 hours in zesty italian,then grill or put in a slow cooker for a couple of hours! That's a good one!
cool.gif

Up till midnight last night making Kielbasa and Brats out of my bird. Fried up some out of the casings and it was awesome!!! Can't wait to get some out on the grill.
beerchug.gif

Thanks Ghost Walker! I heard The Walleye are starting to bite. Turkey strips,Walleye and shrooms sound good.
beerchug.gif

Top Bottom