Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Planter

WhitetailWarrior

I am going to plant my Round-up Ready corn this weekend but the smallest planter that my family, or anyone I know, has is a 16 row planter. I am trying to find a little 4 row planter to buy but probably won't have one by this weekend. Any recomendations on how to plant my corn seed? Didn't know if anyone has had luck broadcasting and then harrowing in?? And walking in a straight line putting them in the ground by hand like Johnny Apple Seed is not a perfered option.....

There are a few guys on here that have broadcast corn and beans together, then covered it (which ever method you want to) with great success. I have never tried it, but have seen alot of pictures where it looked good. How many acres are you looking at doing?

I have seen plots that were broadcasted beans and covered. You are able to put more plants per acre in I believe. Unfortuantly to spray you run over a lot of plants. If the plant is young enough it will come back but will not yield the same as a undamaged plant. If a you dont have a smaller corn planter you dont really have much for choices.

Dean

I have a yetter model 71 4 row planter.I plan on planting about 5 acres next week if I can get it in.

they are pretty good units.

I had good luck last year with broadcasting corn and beans and lightly re-tilling. I used a bag of beans and about a gallon of corn per half acre. A little corn goes a long ways. I over seeded knowing the rototilling method of burying seed was going to get some much too deep (the germ rate was slightly down on the free corn too). It's quick and easy if your willing to throw some seed away.

I would like to roto-till, broadcast corn, cultipac, broadcast beans and re-cultipac and second time. I think one would have great results, thinking the corn may be put down a hair deeper with this method.

I can't prove it, but I think a broacasted plot last long in the fall. The deer have to hunt and peck instead of just walking up and down rows. More searching going on which mean more time in your plot and in front of you... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have broadcast RRCorn/RRBeans for the last couple of years and then just dragged with a harrow. Had good emergence. I set the harrow teeth at the highest notch and that worked well.

I have about 3 acres on one farm and then 2 acres on another of corn and then about the same of each in beans. It sounds like some of you have had some good luck with broadcasting the seed so I will give it a shot. I will just put it on a little heavier and see how much comes up. Thanks for all of your help.

I have broadcast RR corn & beans for about the past 8 years with great success. I (as it sounds like you are) was more or less forced to start that way due to access to planing equipment...having done it that way I wouldn't switch back. I broadcast it with the 4-wheeler and then either lightly disc it in or use the harrow - either has worked fine. Running over some of the plants when spraying does not seem to affect them - they bounce right back (I try to spray when they are relatively young but some years end up spraying the beans twice).

If your still in the market for a planter, I carry 2 row refurbished John Deere Planters. I still have both 70 and 71 series planters. Just send me a message if you want more info.

Top Bottom