Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Hunting?

Bowhunt

I was thinking of trying my luck at coyote hunting this weekend. I am going to try my hand at calling. Any suggestions from people that have put the hurt on a few coyotes before?

I have called varmits for many years now using both mouth calls and electronic calls. Here are a few things I have learned re: calling coyotes. First make sure the wind is not blowing in the direction you are expecting the coyote to come from. They have a habit of trying to circle down wind some times. Second, the minute the coyote is in range and you have a shot take it, if it appears that they are starting to get nervous they will not stick around very long. Third, vary your calling, as in don't use the same dying rabbit call-mix up the tapes from location to location. It doesn't take them long to get wise. Good luck, and have fun.

Two years ago i did alot of coyote hunting when i got some time from college to go, i had some luck though i shot nine yotes and a fox in about five or six hunts. i got three doubles and i missed three due to a scope that got bumped really bad and they were all shot on public hunting areas. It seemed to me that the colder the better or the clearer the night the better. I would set up so i could shoot along ways around crp grass or wherever i thought would be good, i would play the wind and turn on my electronic caller. I had the best luck with the yellow bellied woodpecker tape. Like the guy before said take the first possible shot and keep calling you never know after you shoot, i wouldnt hunt an area too much because they arent stupid. I would get into a tree and wait till the sun just hit the horizon and then call and they would come running, it was also a lot colder than it was now and im sure you can still get em just as easily though, so good luck and shoot a bunch.

Top Bottom