Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crop rotation from milo to alfalfa

Keef

I have 4 acres currently planted in milo. Next spring I'd like to plant alfalfa in this field. Of course I'll get a soil report but normally will I have to add much fertilizer and lime to get the alfalfa going?

This field is on a hill top and so drainage should be good which I understand is good for alfalfa, is that correct?

Any tips on alfalfa I should know? I plan to have a local farmer cut and bail the alfalfa if that is necessary or would it be sufficient to just cut it? If so what length should I leave it during the summer?

This is my first year of aggressively planting food plots and I've had a blast and learned a lot, but I've still got a lot more to learn. This forum has really been helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 4 acres currently planted in milo. Next spring I'd like to plant alfalfa in this field. Of course I'll get a soil report but normally will I have to add much fertilizer and lime to get the alfalfa going?

This field is on a hill top and so drainage should be good which I understand is good for alfalfa, is that correct?

Any tips on alfalfa I should know? I plan to have a local farmer cut and bail the alfalfa if that is necessary or would it be sufficient to just cut it? If so what length should I leave it during the summer?

This is my first year of aggressively planting food plots and I've had a blast and learned a lot, but I've still got a lot more to learn. This forum has really been helpful. </div></div>

I have a lot of great links and information in our thread on Alfalfa which should be helpul in answering your questions.

Fertilizer and lime requirments is something that only a soil test can answer. I would take a soil test fairly soon and then plan on applying lime, P&K this winter and then plant as soon as conditions allow in the spring.

By all means have someone bale the alfalfa for hay!! It's the ONLY way to manage alfalfa without it being a hassle. Alfalfa can be mowed close and can often yield 4 cuttings in the midwest.

Alfalfa hay is bringing a premium so you should be able to rent the hay ground out or do it on shares. Your putting in a valuable commodity and it is one that can pay you back and attract whitetails for a long time to come.

One thing nice about alfalfa in a haying situation is...you don't have to do a doggone thing...the farmer keeps it mowed and baled and all you have to do is hunt! Expensive to put in but if maintained well it can last for 5-10 years!

Can't beat it with a stick!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom