Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

crop rotation:

loneranger

I have beentrying the field grains rotations written about by dbl-tree, and others, using rye,,clovers, and now starting with the brassica. I have fertile, semi-clay types soils.Can I really get by with little manmade fertilization?

I have been using a very similar rotation as Dbltree for a number of years and ony fertilize when planting brassicas because of their high nitrogen needs and have had great success without ever having a food plot fail.

I reckon if Dbltree says you can, than you can! :)
I still do some soil tests and I generally add some fertilizer for good measure BUT I have not been as strict as I will be in the future. I also like the idea of finding a guy that will spread some manure for me. Chicken manure would be great BUT I'll pry have to go with cow. Obviously keep up with your lime application. Dbltree will surely have more to say about the use or lack-of of fertilizers. Sounds like you're doing things right and saving some major coin in the process!

Thanks,,I have yet to use any lime,How important is that?
VERY!!!! Your plants need proper PH for many reasons- including being able to utilize the nutrients/fertilization. I would take a soil test yearly. Correcting PH will make a giant difference if its off by a bit- I'll bet it is too. Easy and reasonably cheap to correct. Pell-lime yearly or ag-lime every 4-5 yrs. Get soil tests yearly and call local co-op agronomist.

They have bagged pel lime at Iowa Missouri Hybrids in Keo if you need some Ed....$4 a bag I think?

Top Bottom