Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

crow hunting

J

jason

I'm thinking about starting crows, and I was woundering if any crow hunters could give me a few pointers, on set up, calls, loads, and decoys! Thanks

I don't hunt them often, usually once a year. I have four crow decoys that I picked up on clearance somewhere and I use an owl decoy.

Then I take my son's boombox and put a tape in of Crows fighting an owl, crank it up.

Then wait when enough come in to shoot and blast them. Very very smart birds! They come around and once you shoot the larger flock won't come back. A few scragglers might come in for extra shots. Then pack up and move a few miles down the road and do it all over again.

In the past I have used cardboard sillouettes, just cut them out and paint them glossy black and hang them from branches.

Jason, some of my best memories as a young hunter are of crow hunts. We don't have crows here like we did 25 years ago, but man what a blast! We set up the same way as BugleMIn except using a Johnny Stewart record player and decoys. Also a crow that has been only wing shot and is flopping around on the ground raising cane drives the other crows nuts and they will come dive bombing in like suicide pilots. Have FUN !

Can you buy just the tape with crow sounds on it? So I can use in a radio?
And do you have to keep moving from field to field after you've already shot?

And is crow good to eat? I've never heard of that until I went to crowbusters on the web and read a list of recipes?
Thanks!

Yes, you can buy just the tape with crows sounds. There are not many sounds of the owl on the tape, just a few hoots, then its all crows cawing like crazy. Probably even find a CD these days. The owl is number one enemy of crows. I don't think owls could care less about crows but the crows hate owls and other predator birds.

I have found that the shooting is good for so long. Then you have to move. Bobcat is correct, a wounded crow flopping around is the best decoy there is. Even a silouette laying on the ground helps.

When does crow season end? I was thinking end of January, but haven't looked this year.

Jason, where you located? Some stores like K's Merchandise, finer local hunting goods shops and mail order catalogs have the cassttes or CD's.

Don't mess with a call when you can buy a cassette tape for same money.

I'm sure some older folks on here can give you a recipe for crow. Sounds like one of those stories granddad would tell you. "Back in '34 we didn't have any food, had to shoot sparrows and crows for dinner each day."

Good luck

BugleMin

I live in lone Tree. Just south of iowa city, and I'm planning to in washington county for crows. I hope crow season doesn't end soon, I want to get out and take a crack at it. I'll have to check out the DNR's web site and see.
Crow have never been hunted where I plan to hunt. So they are in good numbers!

For those wondering but not wanting to surf over to the DNR. The site lists crow season from Jan. 14 - March 31, 2002. No shooting hours. No possession limit. So does anyone hunt crow at night?!

Jason, try your best to kill that first crow coming to your set up when you start calling. We found that we had a better stream of crows coming in when we did that. The reason, we believe, is that the first one is a scout, so to speak, and you don't want him leaving. Just my 2 cents.

That crowbuster site was awesome! We do a lot of off season crow shooting, try to get the first couple and you should be in for a real fun time! A couple crow decoys, a owl decoy, and (if you can afford it) a caller. The caller will double as you can use it for fox and coyote. Another neat thing is that if you have a hawk owl fight tape you get hawks to come in also, nothing like a live decoy or you can photograph them VERY close up.

Too bad I can't hunt 'em here in Iowa City, I think some of the dumpster birds would go B&C!

[This message has been edited by muddy (edited 01-30-2002).]

Top Bottom