Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP Letter for 2007 re-enrollment

dbltree

Super Moderator
Got my letter the other day telling me I need to go in and pay a "measurement fee" to check compliance for enrolling CRP land coming out in 2007. Not sure what that's all about so I'm going in and pay the "ransom" I guess. If I understand the letter right...they will go by the original EBI for ground coming out in 07'- 10'.
Wondering how long it will take to find out if one's ground will be re-enrolled or not?

http://www.iowadnr.com/news/06feb/crp.html

Here's an FSA link also...

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/FullStory.asp?StoryID=2247

I was told it would cost $45 plus $1.00 per acre for the measurement/compliance fee.
We can pay the fee now and sign whatever is involved right now, but they don't even have the paperwork to really start the whole process. They have until September to do their part. Compliance means checking for weeds, pests, etc., however I was also told that they will be overwhelmed, so I expect that much of the measuring/compliance checks will be cursory at best.

I got my letter this week too and, If I am correctly interpreting it, we are automatically approved by accepting the offer by 15 April, 2006 (so long as the CRP ground is in compliance with the original terms as noted above). I agree with DBL - inspection will likely be cursory given the glut of contracts coming due in '07. Haven't decided if I'm going to re-up or not - guess, they've kind of forced me to consider it pretty quickly....

I stopped in today and was told I would know what my per acre income would be in about a week. I was also told that they are not doing the inspections until around july.

I received my letter as well. I talked to the NRCS, I was told I will have to spray, or disk, or inter-seed in the spring of 2008. I was also told that I could get 50% cost share for doing this work.

I wanted to get started this year or next but I'll probably wait since I can get the cost share in 2008.

I read that Wayne County has 62,000 acres (the most in the state) in the CRP so that's a lot of acres to check.

Tim

PYBUCKS, I was told I might have to spray or disk, but I would not have to seed. They said that ther there would be no cost share. Must be a difference in counties.

I went in today and paid my "ransom" aka measurement fee to have them check for compliance. The lady I talked to, while very nice, was not the office manager and had a slightly different story then a friend of mine got a few weeks earlier
confused.gif

The office manager had said they had until September, but this lady said they only had until April 4th ("or something like that"...her words not mine) I asked her how long it would be before we knew anything...or what the next step would be and she said we would get a letter in the mail and have to go back in again. I asked her if the NRCS was involved with compliance checks and she said "no it was all FSA staff and that they just hired two new field agents to help out". She said the compliance checks were very unlikely to be a problem for anyone. They just have to check for noxious weeds, etc. She said "those little red cedars...they'll be alright.
smile.gif
I went by one place that hasn't been mowed for 20 years and the cedars are 8 ft high! (not sure how that deal will work out?)
So when they will actually do the compliance check, and when we will get to go back in and determine any possible new rental rate...still seem up in the air.
I also asked...what if we have noxious weeds, bare spots, etc...are we allowed to mow, burn, replant etc....she said "oh yes...there just isn't any cost share".
I signed and was given a copy of a "Measurement Service Record" which they will enter acres determined under Gross, Deductions and Net.
Official Acreage is acreage measured by the County Office and an accurate measure for a tract or field.
Determined Acreage is official acreage or calculated acreage which may be calculated from: a) an official photo, b) a projected slide image or c) by ground measurements.

Lot of mumbo jumbo...kind of like waiting for the 2006 deer regulations to come out.....
I'm thinking they will be using the aerial photos for measurement and drive bys to check compliance...at least if they want to get done anytime this year!
grin.gif

I called today for an appointment- they didn't want one, just a note that I was interested in the extension, copy of my letter, and the check for the measurement fees. Was told that I would be able to do most anything I wanted in an acceptable conservation plan but no cost share money. Didn't get a timeline except that inspections would take place this summer. Office staff was very nice and helpful as always- I wish everywhere had that kind of help.

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't get a timeline except that inspections would take place this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes more sense to me...how are they going to check for "noxious weeds" in Feb.?
smirk.gif

I agree with DBL that they will use the new satelite arials to do much of the confirmation. I received my "Notice of Determined Acreage" report earlier this month and they had noted that my wildlife foodplots were determined to be .23 acres over the "reported acreage" but that was considered acceptable...so a quick drive by this summer should enable them to determine if noxious weeds are acceptable.

dbltree, It is my understanding, if you sign-up for the offered extension on your current CRP contract then your rental rate will not change. Only NEW CRP acres (row crop last year) bid in will be getting the "new" rental rates! This is a way for the government to continue the CRP program and be able to save money at the same time. You could possibly get the new rental rates if you let your contract expire in 2007 and then re-bid for the new rates. However, if the economy changes or there is not enough funding in 2007 then there may not be a new sign-up at that time. Another possibility is the maximum eligible acres per county may be full. So you can take your chances to get another $5-$15 per acre or take the guarenteed extension offered at the lower rate right now. (If this is not correct please please correct me but that is what I was told by my FSA office.)

[ QUOTE ]
dbltree, It is my understanding, if you sign-up for the offered extension on your current CRP contract then your rental rate will not change. Only NEW CRP acres (row crop last year) bid in will be getting the "new" rental rates! This is a way for the government to continue the CRP program and be able to save money at the same time. You could possibly get the new rental rates if you let your contract expire in 2007 and then re-bid for the new rates. However, if the economy changes or there is not enough funding in 2007 then there may not be a new sign-up at that time. Another possibility is the maximum eligible acres per county may be full. So you can take your chances to get another $5-$15 per acre or take the guarenteed extension offered at the lower rate right now. (If this is not correct please please correct me but that is what I was told by my FSA office.)

[/ QUOTE ]
That could very well be right...the whole thing is just a little on the confusing side
confused.gif

I'd be happy with my current rate versus having to farm it again. The gal I talked to I don't think was to certain on how it all worked.

This is part of Sec. Mike Johanns letter:

FSA ranked individual contracts into one of five tiers
based on the environmental benefits of the original EBI
score. Eligible participants ranking in the first tier
(i.e. between 81-100 percent) of the EBI will be afforded
the opportunity to re-enroll their land in new contracts.
Farmers and ranchers with wetlands in this top tier
ranking are eligible for a 15-year contract.

Eligible participants ranking in the second tier (i.e.
between 61-80 percent) may extend their CRP contracts for
five years. Eligible participants ranking within the third
tier (i.e. between 41-60 percent) may extend their CRP
contracts by four years. Eligible participants ranking in
the fourth tier (i.e. between 21-40 percent) may receive
three-year extensions. Eligible participants ranking in
the bottom tier may extend their contracts by two years.

Before approving a re-enrollment contract or an
extended contract, FSA will review the contract to ensure
that the required cover is maintained and there is
compliance with other contract provisions. In addition, to
be eligible, participants must be able to show that they
meet eligibility requirements for the new enrollment period.
<font color="blue"> In the case of re-enrollments, updated rental
rates will apply.
</font>
As I see it...if one extends the contract for 2-5 years it would be at the current rental rate...however if you re-enroll (an expiring contract) in which case it becomes a new contract...then it's subject to new updated rental rates.
I would print out the letter and take it in before you agree to accept the original rate.

dbltree, I agree that re-enrollment for ten years or longer does get the new rent rate. But to extend your contract for five years or less you get the old rent rate.

1st tier are able to re-enroll now at the new rates the way it reads, while lower tiers are able to extend at old rates. Will EBI be recalculated under a new plan if you choose to submit something to restore natives in a favored mix, add points for tree planting, ponds, foodplots, etc? It is going to be interesting. Crystal ball needed for the next farm bill in effect when 4-5 years from now rolls around.

Top Bottom