Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Custom Calls

jkratz5

My dad has been making custom slate calls for about 3 years now and I have been using them exclusively while turkey hunting during this time. This weekend I decided to take a class from my dad on how to make them and had a blast putting one together. It turned out pretty good for a first shot, and sounds terrific. This call is made of pure walnut (bottom call) and the call my dad originally made me 3 years back is made from Zebra Wood (top call). Both are slate over glass and sound great. The strikers are custom also. Anyhow, I thought I would share.

4534turkey_calls_003_Large_-med.jpg

4534turkey_calls_007_Large_-med.jpg

Those are gorgeous calls! A call like that would have a dual purpose in my house, call/decoration

I think, but I can't remember for sure, that I picked up and held a slate call once.

Is there any maintenance on the calls? Do you have to do anything to the slate or scatcher thingy to keep them sounding good? Can you alter the end of the scratcher thingy to change sounds, more pointed, less pointed?

Like I said in another post, something that seems so simple actually has alot of physics/science behind it.

The 'Bonker

very cool!
not much can compare to killing a turkey with calls you built yourself
Tell him they look nice....ill bet they sound just as good

[ QUOTE ]
I think, but I can't remember for sure, that I picked up and held a slate call once.

Is there any maintenance on the calls? Do you have to do anything to the slate or scatcher thingy to keep them sounding good? Can you alter the end of the scratcher thingy to change sounds, more pointed, less pointed?

Like I said in another post, something that seems so simple actually has alot of physics/science behind it.

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonker not much upkeep really on the calls, Keep the slate sanded so that you have a rough surface to run the striker against. I have never really been able to change tones much by altering a single striker (more or less pointed for example). However, I usually carry 3 or 4 different strikers with me made from various woods (purpleheart, walnut, osage, pine, hickory). Each of these will make a different sound based on how hard or soft the wood is. I have always used slates and nothing else (except for keeping a mouth call in just in case I can't move when I have a bird in close)even before my dad was making them and I think they are hard to beat.

The next round of calls will be aluminum over glass, which we tampered with this weekend and they also sound really good, a little more high pitched and a completely waterproof call if you have a glass or carbon striker.

Top Bottom