Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD in Illinois

150 Class

This makes it even scarier than it already was. How long before it hits our own front yard?

http://dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2002/CWD.htm.

frown.gif

I also read this in todays paper.I think its only a matter of time before its all over.The best thing the Iowa DNR could do right now is allow large deer kill quotas near the WI border.Check out all GAME FARMS for CWD.Ban Baiting and importing deer.Just my .02 worth!

MY JOB DEPENDS ON HUNTERS AND FISHERMEN ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY.I HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THIS ISSUE ON THIS SITE BECAUSE, WE, AS IOWANS ARE ALWAYS THE LAST TO TAKE FAULT WITH ISSUES LIKE CWD. I HAVE ATTENDED NUMEROUS MEETINGS ON THIS '' NEW BREAKOUT'' AND TRUE THERE IS NO REAL REASON FOR THE DISEASE ALL ANYONE KNOWS IS THAT WI AND MN HAVE IT AND NOW A CASE WAS FOUND IN IL----BUT PLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES----WE HAVE IT TOO!!!!!!!!YES ITS MOST LIKELY HERE IN IA AND HAS PROBABLY BEEN AROUND FOR SOME TIME...DONT THINK SO, NEXT TIME YOU CONTACT THE EXAMINERS AT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY--WHY NOT ASK WHERE THE TEST RESULTS ARE FROM THE TESTINGS DONE IN IOWA FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS----THE IOWA DNR DEPENDS ON LISCENCES TO SUPPORT THEIR WAGES---THE RESULTS WERE ALWAYS LOST DUE TO A BROKEN FREEZER OR DATA BEING MISPLACED.I HEAR TESTING IS TO BE DONE IN THESE COUNTIES THIS FALL ALLAMAKEE,WINNESHIEK, CLAYTON AND FAYETTE. WHY HAVENT THE HUNTERS BEEN NOTIFIED? WHERE ARE THE TESTING SITES?WHO IS PAYING FOR THE TEST? AND WHEN IS ANY OF THIS INFO GOING TO MAKE IT TO THE PUBLIC. WITH A LITTLE COMMON SENSE WE AS HUNTERS CAN JUDGE A HEALTHY DEER FROM A SICK ONE. YES THE DISEASE CAN BE CARRIED FOR 18 MONTHS AND MAY BE IN THE VENISION I ATE FOR DINNER TONIGHT, BUT AS A SPORTSMAN I WILL CONTINUE TO HARVEST, PROCESS AND CONSUME THE WHITETAIL DEER OF NORTHEAST IOWA.THE BEST I HAVE HEARD SO FAR WAS A RATHER ELDERLY GENTLEMAN SITTING AT A BAR ON HIS 6TH OR 7TH HIBALL, SMOKING CAMELS, AND COUGHING FOR HIS LAST BREATH OF AIRTELLING ANOTHER BAR PATRON HOW HE WOULD NEVER EAT DEER MEAT AGAIN CAUSE ''THAT MEAT WILL KILL YA''. NO JOKE,WHAT AN IDIOT.. PLEASE STAY INFORMED ON THIS SETBACK AND KEEP HUNTING.. THE WORST THING WE CAN DO IS NOT HELP CONTROL THE POPULATION. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH..M350 OUT

The best one (or worst) that I heard on this was when I took my nephew along to a "Pheasants Forever" banquet and I asked if his dad took him hunting in the youth deer season. His reply was, "No, there's this wasting disease and it's already in Dubuque County and it's in the deer meat and I don't think we are deer hunting."

The uninformed or misinformed?

I live in WI and people are panicking all over the place about CWD. They say they aren't going to eat the meat and quit hunting. Gun hunting licenses are down over 30%. What these people don't realize is that CWD has probably been in WI for atleast 5 years before they first found it. Also, it has been reported that not one person has ever died because of CWD, but more than 50.000 people have died from undercooked chicken and beef products. Hmmmmm, so when people tell me they aren't hunting this year, I say good, more deer for me to see!!!

Goog reply M350. The fact is the disease has always been around. the only difference is the population of deer has greatly increased, not only in iowa, but in neighboring states also which increases the overall exposure to ever growing deer heard nation wide. There will be quite a few losses but this commonly happens to any animal population that increases without any restraints. Nature has it's own way of heard management. O few years ago we had an outbreak in racoon population with the loss of trapping and huting due to the decrease in pelt prices. these things happen, but not to the extreme where we need to panic. Disease will filter a majority of the weak animals. Believe it or not there will be a number of the animals that this will not effect. which a new population growth will start once again. only to be spoiled once again by some other ?? I just believe we won't see a complete extiction of whitetail deer. Like M350 said contact your local vet Or even the Usda and find out the facts before we all get worried out of our minds. The messures taken are all preventative, with worst case scenario applied to the situation. Some of these messures should have been taken years ago. Here's a ? just for reason sake look at rabies. It's a current threat every year, but how many dear have we killed with rabies. Those are just my thoughts, And I could be wrong?
Sorry I forgot to explain the racoon example. The thining factor was due to distemper, There was a major kill during the denning period which exposed many of the critters. But wht do ya know they are back and increasing again in population, Just something to think about.

Top Bottom