Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD - Is There A Cure All?

According to IDNR biologist Dale Garner, a solution of bleach is recommended for sterilizing butchering gear. Not really sure why anyone should spend a lot of extra money for this new solution unless it has some real advantages over the bleach solution.

Someone help me out, please.
I don't quite get the excitement about sterilizing butchering instruments. I know that sterilizing between animals is something that certainly should be done to keep from contaminating the next animal. But if the animal you are processing has CWD or for that
matter any other possible contageon, that will not keep you safe when the meat is consumed. From what I read, the CWD prion resides in the nervous tissue, brain, nerves, lymph nodes and glands, and therefore the reccommendation is to bone out the meat and not get into the spine or skull. Of course, there are nerves, nodes and glands in the muscle tissue. I have always boned out my animal and removed the large glands behind the front shoulder and in the hams. I just don't like the thought of them being in my hamburger or whatever.
My confusion:
Even if you sterilized your butcher knife each time you made a cut, won't you still possibly have the CWD in the muscle in the form of small nerves and nodes? To me the answer is ta treatment for the processed meat that
tdestroys the prion. I know-sounds far fetched.
Sorry for the rambling. Perhaps I'm not the only one wondering about this. I really hope I'm just worrying about nothing!!
Don

I'm pretty sure safeguarding hunters from CWD prions is a distinct advantage.

Guys,

You may want to back up and question ALL info about cwd that is based on the prion theory.

I suggest strongly reading DEADLY FEASTS

Guys,

You may want to back up and question ALL info about cwd that is based on the prion theory.

I suggest strongly reading DEADLY FEASTS written by Richard Rhodes. The author describes in detail where the prion theory originated. There is a very valid question if that theory has been scientifically proven. It MAY be prions but reasonable analysts would question the statements about cwd based solely on "prions"

Doesn't make the problem any simpler but I am not ready to put ALL of my eggs in the Prion basket.

Bill

At some of the DNR meetings up here, they were recommending that you soak all your processing materials in a bleach solution. Even so, they said that might not completely kill the prions. Some recommended throwing out any saw you use to cut through bone. So yes, this solution might be helpful if it indeed kills prions.

The stuff is important for meat processors for this reason. Right now, the infection rate in the CWD zone is about 1 in every 20 deer. So theoretically, only one in every 20 deer being processed has CWD. If you were taking your deer to a processing facility, chances are that it doesn't have CWD, but deer being cut up on the table before yours got there may have. You'd feel safer knowing that they were sterilizing the facility regularly and there weren't prions hanging around. Also, many of the places up here butcher deer on the side, with cattle and hogs being their primary business. I'm sure that the general public want all precautions available being used if possibly contaminated venison was being butchered in the same facilities as their beef and pork.

Properly disinfecting your buthering gear is a good idea regardless of whether your deer may have been infected with CWD. There are plenty of other nasty diseases which wildlife may be a carrrier for which makes a strong case for wearing protective gloves when field dressing and butchering an animal. Cleaning your knives and saws afterward is to prevent contaminating the next animal that may come in contact with the gear.

Top Bottom