Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cyotes

B

Baker

How many people have seeing cyotes when hunting so far. I haven't really made it out yet, but am expecting to have more than a few encounters this year. Have heard of at least four siting of them in my immediate area in the past couple weeks. My dad saw two chasing a fawn when he was combining and a neighbor and his youngins had four between him and the car on evening, said they weren't to scared of him. I plan to try to hunt some since they are so numerous. Just curious about elsewhere.

Baker,
The last 4 times I have been out I have seen these song dogs. I have also witnessed one killing a rooster a few nights ago. If it wasn't for the possibility of a buck coming into range they would have been eliminated. My old man isn't too happy that I didn't shoot them because he is an avid pheasant hunter. After I get my bowkill, I'll start pursuing coyotes. If there is one thing that bothers me, it is the sound of 15 of these creatures howlin and yelpin when I'm getting out of my stand.

BT

I was out this evening and saw 5 in one group! and not 1 deer!?

I have also been seeing more coyotes this year. I also shot one with the bow this year while I was deer hunting. I thought I could atleast give the deer a rest , and the pheasants too. Plus I think it is really great practice.

They are VERY hard on pregnant does and newborns in spring up here.Also death on all deer when theres deep snow cover and it gets a crust on it they can run on.In the east they get up to 80lbs and look like german shepards.

woods

Woodseye-

I may be wrong, but I think those are called wolves.
wstupid.gif

No thats what coyotes look like and act like up here.Your coyotes aren't that big?I guess ours would go from 45-80# depending on age and size.I'll post some pics for you if I can find them.

woods

I've seen many yotes as big as you're saying. I hunt down in the Loess hills and they get some damn big ones down there. I've been seeing quite a few on the road ways dead, right next to a freshly combined field. What a beautiful sight.
beerchug.gif

Heard the yips last night one ridge over than in a little line of brush about 50 yards ahead of me I suddenly hear a crash and a rabbit scream. Figured the yotes had him but then here comes 2 yotes runnin wide open into that brush and out flies a redtail minus his rabbit.. those yotes stayed around till after shootin time I had some good opurtunities but those damn snyper broadheads are so exspensive I hate to waste one. The 2 little bucks I have watched fight every night finally showed up but they stayed their distance and were nervous about em. So I just put the old muzzy tipped arrow into the quiver for the next time. I have shot a double on yotes a couple of years ago. Lots of em here in the hills. shot one in the front yard too..

The last years I saw at several coyotes during gun season, but they always seem to come in at the worst time to shoot. I always see them at first and last lite. Or they get pushed toward me by guys driving, and I just hate to pull the trigger when it's primetime or could have deer moving cause of the drivers. Just waiting for one to make an apperance when I am bowhunting.

Why dont you guys tell me about all these coyote reports in December or January when I have the whites out (thats if we have snow). The area were I live has more fox than coyotes because its pretty flat. It really gets the blood pumping to see the coyotes after first snowfall. Like I said hope this topic gets brought up later in the year!!

From what I have seen those dang 'yotes are very skittish. I hear them howling every night at dark on my property in Van Buren County but never see one during daylight hours. If they ever decide to come out during daylight I just may have to invest in a flat shooting varmit rifle.

From what I have seen those dang 'yotes are very skittish. I hear them howling every night at dark on my property in Van Buren County but never see one during daylight hours. If they ever decide to come out during daylight I just may have to invest in a flat shooting varmit rifle.

All animals have their place in nature....but I really don't like the fact that critters like ditch tigers, coons, and coyotes eat so many game birds and turkey poults. I shot a coyote several years ago while on stand during slug season, and lemme tell ya, a 20 gauge slug does a pretty good job on a yote! Now he looks nice all skinned and tanned on my wall.....too bad I had to put such a big hole in him! If any of you out there have the chance to hunt coyotes, trap or hunt coons and ditch tigers.....do it! You are doing all kinds of other animals a favor.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

i was in my stand sunday morning an heard something in the timber behind me, turn around and saw a ground hog and about 10 yards behind him was a coyote. the ground hog went in a hollow log and the coyote just turned and left him alone. must of been a young coyote. so i took a shot at him and just shot under him, but i sure scrared the crap out of him
rambo.gif

Top Bottom