Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dad's and My Doudble

Y

Youngbuck

This was an awesome second to last day hunt with my dad. We went to a place I hadn’t been all season. We took the long hike to the timber, and couldn’t believe how tall the weeds had grown, but we went to a place we know turkeys are roosting at. So when we got close to ridge we owl hooted, and nothing. Then as we stepped off the trail, we tried our best not to break sticks, but with the weeds to our chest, I didn’t do to well. But we eventually got to the ridge we wanted and still nothing gobbled, but we knew there were turkeys there. So we set up. As it started to get a little lighter we heard one behind us, and one WAY far down on the river bottom to our left. So it started to get lighter, but the one on the river bottom was still talking after fly down. Soon we heard a yelp to our left, and it got closer and closer and closer, finally it came over the hill, and it was a very old hen coming to the decoy with her head down in a very aggressive manner. So she was only 13 yds away, yelping EXTREMELY loud, and then I started getting a little nervous with her that close, and started shaking, and couldn’t completely stop, so I had to hope she couldn’t see me. Which was hard because she stayed around for so long constantly yelping. When she yelped one time we heard a gobbled that had obviously followed her, but it got hung up on something, and never came in. Soon she started making her exist, but anytime we would yelp she’d go crazy yelping back, and she was doing this as she was walking away, which made the best living decoy ever. Soon he showed himself, only about a hundred yards away in front of us. And what sounded like a tom gobbling was an old jake, accompanied by 5 others. Well they fed in front of us for awhile, then went away, but then came back, then left, then started coming to us, but on the wrong side, trying to figure out how I was going to move, they finally broke in at the decoy, four of them came within range, and dad said “Shoot the one on the left when you can, then I’ll shoot†So I did, and as soon as pulled the trigger, I heard another bang. When we walked up I realized we had just successfully completed our first double!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Dad’s weighed 17 lbs, and had a 5-½ beard, mine weighed 16 lbs, but had a 6 5/8 in beard.
Here's mine
597Michael_4th_season1-med.jpg

Mine again
597Michael_4th_season-med.jpg

Both of 'em
grin.gif

597Michael_w_two1-med.jpg

Top Bottom