Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dang thissels

Skully

PMA Member
All the talk about weeds got me wondering what tips you guys have for getting rid of thissels. My neighbor put his 60 acres of alfalfa into CRP two years ago and now it is FULL of thissels. It took a year for them to really take off and now I am getting them on my side of the fence. He is a good neighbor and he lets me hunt but I am going to have to say something to him soon. I mowed some of the bad patches this fall but was wondering at what stage should I spray them and what kind of chemical to use? Thanks in advance.

I would hit them with 2-4D, maybe in late June? I hate those things! Once in while I have had a little patch pop up unnoticed and then my only option was to mow them.
Since I have been spraying my prairie grasses every few years with 2-4D to control invasive goldenrod...I haven't had a problem with bull thistle.

I've had a problem with thistles before and used both roundup and 2-4D.Had to hit some of them numerous times before getting the job done.Good luck.

I think I'm going to try Stinger I hear it is expensive but highly effective. A person from Cascade Nursery said to hit the canada thistles before the blossoms open, claiming that once they bloom, they have enough time to set seed before the herbicide gets 'em.

Thanks guys. Mowing them really bothered me because they had already gone to seed but I did it anyway. I don't even want to see how bad they get this summer! I had an old timer tell me that to get rid of them you have to stuff the seed heads into bags and burn them
confused.gif
I would be out there for weeks if that were the case. Thanks for the help.

I used Crossbow with pretty good results, but to kill 'em dead and kill 'em fast I used Tordon 22K. I am quite concerned with the carry over of the Tordon and the wildlife mix I'm gonna plant this spring. Even though it was just spot spraying with an once and a half to a gallon of water, I hope i don't end up with bare spots in my seeding.

I went to a Phesants Forever field day last fall, one of the DNR guys showed me a thistle that the top leaves had turned white. He said it was caused by a virus that attacks the chlorophyl in the thistle and eventually kills it. I found a few in the fields we were looking at and broke off the tops and put them in my field. Hope it transfers.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom