Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer and West Nile Virus

Rackaddict

Life Member
While I was swatting Mosquitos on opening day I got to wondering if anyone had given any thought to the fact that deer and turkey could carry WNV. Horses, dogs, birds and other animals have been found dead or have tested positive for the virus. There is no question that deer, turkey and other wildlife are also at risk of contracting the virus. This being true, what are the risks to humans through contact with an infected animal? I called our local Wildlife Biologist here in Springfield, MO. today and asked him about it. He said that as of yet there had been no reports of any infections to deer or turkey but they are just as likely to contract it as any other bird or mammal, but if you harvest an animal that appears to be sick to contact an agent so it could be tested for CWD or WNV. He also said that the percentages of birds and animals infected by WNV is so small that he felt there was really no risk. He said it was being blown out of proportion by the media. I agree with that, but it still didn't answer my question as to the chance of human infection by handling or consuming meat from an infected animal. Personally, I'm not worried for my own sake as much as I am about children, who are most at risk, of possibly being exposed to WNV by eating the meat. I thought some of you may have some information about this.

Rack, just thought I'd put in what I have found out through the local newspapers. I think you would be suprised at how many cases there actually are in birds (mainly crows). The local paper also talked with a vet. and the vet said as long as the meat is cooked so it is done (I believe 160 degrees farenheit is the magic temp) that the virus (if there was one) is killed. FYI.

All the penguins died at the Milwaukee county zoo this past week from west nile viruse.A snowy owl also died along with a pheasant.

I have read a lot about this topic because of my job and there are still a lot of unknowns, but, there are some facts out there. Maybe I can help answer some of your questions. I would were rubber gloves when ever cleaning game of any type, even if it seems to be perfectly heathly, better safe than sorry. As for WNV just about anything can be infected with it, some may show symptoms some may not. Birds in the family of Crows and Jays seem to be the most affected by WNV. As an example chickens can get WNV but don't so any signs of it. It has been said that if cooked enough WNV will be killed, I don't know this for sure but it probably is true. If you do harvest an animal that does not appear to be heathly call your local DNR offical and have them come and look at it. If you still want more info on the topic, and i'm sure it can answer your question better than me, you can go to the IA DNR Website, they have a lot of info on CWD and WNV. As for contracting WNV by just handling the animal the chances are very slim, but still there. It is transfered in the blood, so there is a possibility but slim, i would still always were rubber gloves though. Hope this helps some.

Top Bottom