Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer carts..... experience?

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I recently purchased a folding deer cart / hauler from Cabelas..... I got the aluminum one pictured in their catalog...... anyway, I am beginning to wander if I made the right choice. A guy at Cabelas somewhat talked me out of the other models with the weight distributed over the wheels..... he said that going up hills makes the handles want to push up hard due to the weight of the deer pushing down the hill. Since I hunt in NE iowa where it is quite hilly and steep, I thought the other model might work best. I had my wife sit on the cart in the basement to see how easy it was to pull and it was somewhat difficult (my wife only weighs 125lbs.)..... any thoughts or experience is appreciated...... Thanks....

I made one that resembles the mag hauler that cabelas has. This is the one with the weight over the wheels. I've had about 200 lbs in this pulling through water and over logs with no problem at all. No hills though. I would figure no matter what the design the deer weight would want to pull you down hill so why not take some weight off your arms and put it over the wheels? I'd make them take it back. Cabelas is pretty good about those things.

I have an eary model called the mule, with weight distributed over the wheels. I love it, and the newer ones have been improved with a wider wheel base which would add stability on side hills. Straight up hill is a pain no matter how you do it, on some hills I have gotten better footing by turning it around and pushing it like a wheel barrow up them. I have also had to tie a rope to it and pull it up. No matter how bad of a design you got, I'll bet it is much better than trying to drag a deer.

IaCraig

I ALSO HAVE ONE FROM CABELAS WITH THE WEIGHT OVER THE WHEELS AND I AGREE WITH IACRAIG, ANY KIND OF CART IS BETTER THAN DRAGGING ONE OUT. I LIVE IN NORTHEAST IOWA TOO AND HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF GOING UPHILL WITH AND WITH OUT A CART. IT'S MUCH BETTER WITH ONE. I FOUND OUT THEY ARE GREAT FOR LOADING DEER IN THE TRUCK TOO!! I HUNT BY MYSELF AND IT WAS ALWAYS A PAIN IN THE A#% TO GET THE DEER IN THE TRUCK ALONE AFTER YOUR ABOUT DEAD YOURSELF FROM GETTING IT OUT OF THE WOODS. ALL I DO NOW IS DROP THE TAILGATE, LEAN THE HANDLE OF THE CART ON THE EDGE OF THE TAILGATE, PICK UP THE OTHER END OF THE CART AND SLIDE IT IN, DEER AND ALL. NO MORE WRESTLING ALL THAT WEIGHT THAT WANTS TO FLOP ALL AROUND. JUST MY THOUGHTS..........
madgo_ron.gif
rockband.gif

I am seriously considering taking mine back to Cabelas at Prairie du Chien........ I am concerned that the model I have is going to be difficult to pull over relatively flat ground due to the wheels being placed toward the rear.... originally thought it might be better for going uphills,... now I am not so sure.....
confused_em8.gif

I have one I purchased from Cabela's. It is an aluminum one with hard plastic wheels. It is a pretty good device. The carts are always good when hunting by yourself and have no one to drag it out with you.

Hey SD Buck,

Tell me more about your deer cart..... it sounds like it may be like the one I purchased. It is unpainted aluminum with hard rubber wheels. The wheels easily remove from the axis and it folds completely flat...... the wheels are mounted toward the back. Are yours? If so do you have any trouble with it pulling hard? Especially up hills......... Thanks....

We have been using the Cabelas Super Mag Hauler for a few years now and have been very happy with it.

Be careful of the spokes when in rough country. And keep a check on them for tightness. We have had two deer and our stands on it before.

Sticky mud is the only challenge we have faced.

Top Bottom