Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer DO eat Red Cedars!!

loneranger

I hate to tell you this,,but deer do eat young red cedars. I planted 500 red cedar seedlings from the state last spring. The DNR told me those were the trees to plant if you didn't want to worry about deer damage. Well I was just down on my land in SE Iowa last week. I began to examine the cedars close to see if they were still alive and by golly,, I couldn't believe it! All the top tips were nipped off!! I did tempt the deer to try them I suppose, as I planted them around the perimeters of my clover plots, but just the same,,it made me MAD!!! I guess there is NOTHING these creatures won't eat. All I can hope for now is that as the trees get more age on them ,they won't be so palatable. I also plan on giving them a little triple 12 fert to encourage them to grow this summer. So good luck planting red cerdar. Maybe if they are not near a munching source like out in fields, they will be left alone. I don't see this nibbling on wild small trees I have growing in the fields.

Top Bottom