Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer hunting tips.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Keep it simple.

It's difficult to be stealthy, alert, patient and focused at the moment of truth when you have to move this, stow that and avoid the other thing to draw the bow. All you really need to harvest a deer is a bow, an arrow and a knowledge of your quarry - be careful not to stray too far from that.

I have to agree with all of the statements above. I guess my tip would have to be, Is to be mobile and aggressive. Go to the deer. You could be there a while if there is very few deer around you.

SD Buck

Always take your camera with you .....even the one time cameras work pretty good, you never know when you might harvest the big guy.
wavey.gif

From what I have read is that no one rattles anymore! I use the wind but I use it in a way that tells me where the deer will come from. I have taken 2 P&Y bucks rattling and the only way to set up to get a shot at a rattled in deer is to know that a deer will come in directly down wind from the sound of the horns. Do not let the wind make a hot stand off limits or let the wind ruin 1 day of hot rattling in the short period that the mature bucks really fight good.
So my tip is:
In the morning before you hunt wash hair and body with arm & hammer baking soda wear your scentlok and DO NOT sweat on your way to the stand and I guarantee you you can hunt any wind in any stand you have.

Hello,

I would have to agree with all the excellent posts above.

I would add this sometimes very deceptively hard rule of mine to follow: Slow down!

Keep the rush-rush of modern life at home: Deer are not on a time clock and are only concerned with staying alive. They are keyed in to the rythmns of nature and become instantly aware of all disturbances in thier perceptive range. The bowhunter needs to tune into these natural rythmns as soon as he/she enters the world of the whitetail, if he is to expect close encounters with undisturbed deer on a daily basis.

Key elements: Use slow and deliberate, conscious, movements when hunting -- at all times. (That is, move at the pace of nature, not ahead of it and never make an unconscious movement or sound!) Keep any noises you must make sounding as natural as possible. And, pretend a big buck is hunting you! (This last idea may seem silly, but try it. I think you'll find yourself with an increased level of awareness of your surroundings at all times!)

Ignore the rythmns of nature and proceed at a modern-world, homo-sapian pace and you will be a rock in a calm pond, sending ripples of alarm to every living creature! (I would venture to bet that besides not always using the wind to one's advantage, that moving like a "civilized man" in the woods has saved more whitetails than anything.)

Good Hunting....Raven

Here's one for the off season that benefits me every year! Shed hunting and scouting time!!

If you hunt with a friend or have a friend that also hunts take them with when scouting, even if you're not hunting the same areas. Two heads are always better than one. You may think you have things figured out until somebody points something out that you've been missing. Keep asking each other "why" until both of you have it figured out.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom