Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer trails

J

jason

Where I hunt, I've found a few heavily used deer trails. I know bucks don't usually go down them, but you would think they would in pre ruts. 3 trails i've found lead to a bean field. Is it possible these trails could lead to there bedding area? Im just wondering, bucause I haven't found any buck sign, exept for a few sets of tracks. So I don't know where there bedded, or what coridors there in. All's i have are deer trails that look like cattle have walked over them. Should I stick with these for ealy season, or look harder?
Thanks, and good hunting?

Jason

There is no doubt those trails will lead to a bedding area, but I would be careful not to walk around your hunting area too much. The last thing you want is every deer in the area to know you've been there. After the season is over (late-winter/early-spring) is a great time to follow those trails and see where they end up . For now, I would recommend setting up your stand on the other side of the beanfield...where you can see what deer are using those trails to get to the beans. If you do see a nice buck entering the field on those trails a couple nights in a row, reposition your stand and wait for the right wind.

If you can keep the area fresh(no human scent) until late Oct./early Nov. it sounds like you've got a great spot to catch a buck trailing a hot doe. Once the pre-rut kicks in , doe trails between feeding and bedding areas are a good choice for a stand.

Good Luck!

TB

Top Bottom