Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Des Moines Forage And Turf??

Iowabowtech

Anybody have any experience with the seed blends these guys offer? My local CO-OP carries their seed and they have a wildlife product line that includes different mixes some geared toward full sun and some geared toward partial shade for in timber clear cuts and the sort. I'm especially wondering about their "Point Builder Plus" mix which contains the following:

-20% Bulls-Eye hybrid turnips
-20% Pinnacle Ladino
-20% Grand Daddy Perennial Ryegrass
-15% Bridger Rape Seed
-10% Sterling Rape Seed
-10% Puna Chicory
-5% Crusade White Clover

I'm hoping to frost seed and I'm not sure if this mix would be a good choice for such a plan. Says it's good for plots along wood lines or open areas in the woods which is what I'm wanting to do. Any advice from the experts??? I just don't have the equipment and acreage to do big plots so I'm hoping to do several small plots in and around my hunting area to provide some extra draw and forage.

Looks more like a fall planting to me. Not sure if rape and turnips can be frost seeded and why ryegrass?

They are an excellent seed source but that mix is no good for frost seeding and IMO...not the greatest period.

[ QUOTE ]
-20% Bulls-Eye hybrid turnips
-20% Pinnacle Ladino
-20% Grand Daddy Perennial Ryegrass
-15% Bridger Rape Seed
-10% Sterling Rape Seed
-10% Puna Chicory
-5% Crusade White Clover

[/ QUOTE ]

The two clovers and the chicory can be frost seeded...so you need to buy them seperately.

The rape and turnips need to be seeded in July/August

the ryegrass...forget altogether
smirk.gif

This is exactly why I don't like commercial mixes...whenever you can, purchase individual seeds and mix your own.

If your not sure what is a good mix...ask and we'll hopefully give you some good advice
grin.gif

You can buy indvidual seeds from Welter Seed and Honey Company

Several companies such as Tecomate, Whitetail Institute and Biologic all offer clover/chicory mixes suitable for frost seeding as well.

I was afraid of that, glad I asked. Well, I've been trying to figure out what to do for some time now and I've been following various threads on this forum for quite awhile now but perhaps it'd be wise to say exactly what I'm up against and get some feedback. I'm hunting an area here in central Iowa that has a HUGE deer population. It's not at all uncommon to see 50 or more deer in a series of fields or even a single field when driving around. We're trying to reduce numbers through accelerated doe harvest but the good news is that evidently, the conditions are such that large populations can be sustained here because I have seen many large bucks in the area in any given year. One thing I don't have access to though for the most part is ag equipment so I'll need to plant several smaller plots inside the timber in areas that will receive a good amount of light. So the question is, what do I plant in such a highly populated area with my limitations in mind? Am I wasting my time? I'm almost wondering if small plots won't be reduced to ground level in short order but I'd sure like to at least try something in addition to the increased harvest we have underway.

Small plots, on timber soils, with a high deer population ... that's a tough but common situation. I would suggest clover or perhaps winter wheat/rye/AWP, but likely both will get hammered in the scenerio you describe. Until you get your numbers down, I would focus on managing your natural food sources instead of trying make food plots.

I have said this many times before here but too many people think whitetail habitat management means just growing foodplots. Many "experts" suggest only having 10% to 20% of a property in food plots. That leaves 80% to 90% of the ground that many fail to do any management on. Unless you are wealthy enough to have a huge block of ground, it is important to maximize all of your lands potential to make small properties more attractive to deer.

Do some TSI, spot spray grass with Round-up, and try some prescribed fire ... it will probably be a wiser use of your time and money than trying to force a foodplot somewhere that perhpas there shouldn't be one.

[ QUOTE ]
what do I plant in such a highly populated area with my limitations in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Farmland has already given you excellent advice.

Your in a tough situation because deer are going to hammer anything you plant.

The only difference between your situation and mine is that I have equipment which certainly does help.

You can do a lot with a chainsaw and fire...IF that is allowable on this land.

If you want to plant...clover can take heavy grazing as can rye and wheat.

Your questions about the mix are exactly my reasons for posting the thread "Which seed is right?"

Keep asking...but if you interested in frost seeding...clover and chicory will work great and the time is NOW
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom