Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Des Moines Winter Games - Ice Fishing Derby

OneCam

This past year my oldest son has become an avid fisherman. Ice fishing is new to both of us and we started shortly after Santa visited and fulfilled most of Chance's ice fishing wish list. With a borrowed hand auger and shack we have had some good times.

This past weekend we decided to attend the Des Moines Winter Games Ice Fishing Derby after encouragement from a few friends.

Long story short - once the starting horn was sounded and a brisk walk pulling the sled and equipment to our spot (we've never been to Easter lake until that day :grin:). I opened a hole for Chance to start fishing while I started putting up the shack ... I didn't even finish getting putted up the shack when I heard Chance excitedly pulling out a nice little catfish. We hurried up and weighed the fish in back at the starting point (it was the first of the morning). We caught ... or I should say Chance caught a bunch of fish before the derby was over but none bigger than that first fish.

10-p1030547.jpg

That fish ended up taking 2nd place in the derby and we won a much needed (for dad) electric ice auger and some other nice prizes. It was great luck for the youngest competitor and one of the only kids in large field of adults in the Derby - I'm very proud.

10-p1030551.jpg

Thanks to all involved - Rod Woten, Recycled Fish, Rick and Jory ,Mike etc :way:

Last edited:
I see a young'n there with the same twinkle in his eye I had at his age. You better continue to encourage that hobby, dad! Great job!

Thats awesome, Chris!!! I'm gonna have to get that kid on some muskie water.... :grin:

That is so awesome! I just love watching the kids whoop up on the old guys! :way::way::way:

Looks like we're living parallel lives, whitetail addictions and kids who love to fish. Congrats!!

That awsome. Congrats to you and your son. I wish I would have brought my daughter, but couldn't find a shelter in time.Where did you get the pictures? I can't find them this year on the recyled fish websight.

Top Bottom