Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dewclaw's Trophy Bird

OneCam

Tony Welch (Dewclaw) wrote, "Shot in Wright Co,MN. May 2nd,2003. Weighed 24lbs.without guts, 10" beard and 1
3/8" spurs."

157Dscf0023_1_.jpg

Congratulations on the huge tom - that's a great looking shirt too.

Mudman, I arrived at my hunting area well before daybreak and got my blind, bow and backpack loaded up and headed towards an area I had figured on setting up at. I got about 100 yds. from the truck when I crested a hill, I thought I better make a call and see if anything would respond. Sure enough, a gobble from 1/4 mile south of where I wanted to set up. I got to the spot and erected the double bull titan and set out 2 decoys. After I got settled in the blind I made another call and got another gobble back. A few minutes later, I heard something coming through the grass to my left. It was a hen, she came right up to the decoys and would not leave. I wanted to keep working the tom but was afraid to spoke her. She was within 20 feet from 6am-7am. She decided to leave and went behind me into the woods. Right after she got out of site I looked up and see a hen beatin cheeks across a cut cornfield coming my direction. I thought there must be a coyote chasing her, but I didn't see anything behind her. Then a couple seconds later here comes a big tom in tow. I called once and he stopped, puffed up, leaned over and gobbled. I was shakin, but he was still 150 yds out and with that damn hen. He continued after her and chased her in a circle. I thought, I'm never gonna break him away from her. I gave another call and he turned and came towards me. He got across about 50yds of matted down swamp grass and started strutting about 40yds out. I was so pumped up I was shakin, but I kept telling myself to settled down and wait instead of rushing it. He kept strutting back and forth coming closer and closer and finally when he was at 12-13yds, I let him have it. It looked like a perfect shot, the arrow was half in and half out, but he ended up flying off. I busted out of the blind to keep track of where he was heading and after I got to the top of the hill I saw him laying out in the middle of the huge cornfield(which was the towards where my truck was parked) I watched him for about 10 minutes and he didn't move so I went back to pack up the blind. When I got up to the turkey his head was up so I had to use another arrow to finish him. You know it's probably a good thing I didn't shoot anything in Nebraska this spring, I've already written a flipp'n novel for this one. Good Luck

Top Bottom