Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dilemma

Daver

PMA Member
I had planted some Dbltree special clover mix in early August in 3 separate areas on my farm. After the extremely heavy rains that we have had I am now thinking that one of those areas just didn't "take". I don't know if the seed got buried by silt or if the ground just compacted and crusted enough that the small seedlings couldn't break through or if it will come on yet. The two areas where I could see clover were quite small, about 1/4".

Should I tear up the one area and replant or see what happens? The area in question is a really key area for me. It is an acre surrounded on all sides by timber, so I do not want to let it set as just dirt either...

Opinions and advice are welcome.

I felt the same way about a seeding earlier this year. I would wait it out, I am no pro but I'll bet you still see good results.

[ QUOTE ]
I had planted some Dbltree special clover mix in early August in 3 separate areas on my farm. After the extremely heavy rains that we have had I am now thinking that one of those areas just didn't "take". I don't know if the seed got buried by silt or if the ground just compacted and crusted enough that the small seedlings couldn't break through or if it will come on yet. The two areas where I could see clover were quite small, about 1/4".

Should I tear up the one area and replant or see what happens? The area in question is a really key area for me. It is an acre surrounded on all sides by timber, so I do not want to let it set as just dirt either...

Opinions and advice are welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave as hot and humid as it's been the past few days...if it's ever going to come up it should by this weekend.

If it hasn't germinated and sprouted by then I would replant.

If it's partially up then you have the option of frost seeding into it this winter to thicken it up.

Rare to have so much rain in August that it might be a problem...but there's a first time for everything!
smirk.gif

If you do tear it up...consider adding some oats or rye so you still end up with a fall food plot draw in that spot.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom