Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Direct seeding acorns

the whites will start sending the roots down the fall when they are picked, but the reds will not start till the following spring.

I like to use root trapper containers to direct seed the plants and then take them out the next fall and plant them for good. They have a more fiborous root system that way and will not have any transplant shock.

Check out www.rootmaker.com

Last fall I direct seeded English oak acorns into two fence rows using the Blue-X direct-seeder tubes. Dropped two acorns per tube and then a fistful of potting soil on top. About half (of 32 tubes) germinated and are now growing a strong seedling.

I used the same procedure to direct seed into my nursery area 12 EngOak acorns. Every one of them produced a strong seedling.

As some sort of 'control' I planted a dozen EngOaks into the nursery without the Blue-X tubes.....they germinated 100% and are growing strong and straight --results were similar to the tube grown nursery seedlings.

I also used Blue-X direct-seed tubes for American plum seeds that I stratified over the winter. Their germination rate was very near 100% and these seedlings growing within tubes are much stronger and taller than those plum seedlings growing without a tube.

Without straying too far off-topic: Let me suggest you investigate English Oaks for acorn production. The amount of acorns ---big acorns!----that one of these mature trees produce is mind-boggling. Much greater than any native oak I've ever witnessed. They are susceptible to mildew problems, but still, if you plant enough of them in the right area you can get a carpet of big acorns on the ground.

[ QUOTE ]
Last fall I direct seeded English oak acorns into two fence rows using the Blue-X direct-seeder tubes. Dropped two acorns per tube and then a fistful of potting soil on top. About half (of 32 tubes) germinated and are now growing a strong seedling.

I used the same procedure to direct seed into my nursery area 12 EngOak acorns. Every one of them produced a strong seedling.

As some sort of 'control' I planted a dozen EngOaks into the nursery without the Blue-X tubes.....they germinated 100% and are growing strong and straight --results were similar to the tube grown nursery seedlings.

I also used Blue-X direct-seed tubes for American plum seeds that I stratified over the winter. Their germination rate was very near 100% and these seedlings growing within tubes are much stronger and taller than those plum seedlings growing without a tube.

Without straying too far off-topic: Let me suggest you investigate English Oaks for acorn production. The amount of acorns ---big acorns!----that one of these mature trees produce is mind-boggling. Much greater than any native oak I've ever witnessed. They are susceptible to mildew problems, but still, if you plant enough of them in the right area you can get a carpet of big acorns on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

The heck with it...let's "stray"
blush.gif
grin.gif

Check this English Oak strain for mildew immunity: English Oak — Quercus robur

or check several hybrid english oak crosses which are stronger, faster growing trees: Hybrid Oaks

Have you tried putting your acorns in a box or bag of wet leaves in the basement to stratify them before planting?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The heck with it...let's "stray"
blush.gif
grin.gif

Check this English Oak strain for mildew immunity: English Oak — Quercus robur

or check several hybrid english oak crosses which are stronger, faster growing trees: Hybrid Oaks

[/ QUOTE ]

Oikos Trees has some quality seedlings. I have bought some of the hybrid chestnuts from them and will be buying some of the hybrid oaks also. Good company to purchase from.

Dtree asks: "Have you tried putting your acorns in a box or bag of wet leaves in the basement to stratify them before planting?

Not exactly, but close. I have put them into an open plastic baggie along with a 50/50 mix of coarse sand and spaghum moss (supposedly the moss is acidic and inhibits mildew growth...??). This bag then goes into the crisper drawer of a spare referigerator. I'm sure it serves the same function as your suggestion ....it's simply another stratification method.

However, I do like your idea of dampened leaves as that seem more 'natural'...and hence, has to be effective. It's what happens in th woodlot.

I clicked the link to Oikos's feature on E.Oaks. Come spring I will run down to Kalamazoo and buy a couple of his special 'strain'....to compare.

I haven't yet bought from Oikos...although their reputation is sterling. Battle Creek is a tad closer to my farm so I've been giving Morse Nursery my business on 'potted' plants.

Oikos will get some this spring.

By the way, Doubletree, I had posted a query to you on one of the apple tree threads about your selection of certain varieties of apples that you bought from ACN. Was just curious as to the thought process....as I will be placing an order with them come January.

[ QUOTE ]
Dtree asks: "Have you tried putting your acorns in a box or bag of wet leaves in the basement to stratify them before planting?

Not exactly, but close. I have put them into an open plastic baggie along with a 50/50 mix of coarse sand and spaghum moss (supposedly the moss is acidic and inhibits mildew growth...??). This bag then goes into the crisper drawer of a spare referigerator. I'm sure it serves the same function as your suggestion ....it's simply another stratification method.

However, I do like your idea of dampened leaves as that seem more 'natural'...and hence, has to be effective. It's what happens in th woodlot.

I clicked the link to Oikos's feature on E.Oaks. Come spring I will run down to Kalamazoo and buy a couple of his special 'strain'....to compare.

I haven't yet bought from Oikos...although their reputation is sterling. Battle Creek is a tad closer to my farm so I've been giving Morse Nursery my business on 'potted' plants.

Oikos will get some this spring.

By the way, Doubletree, I had posted a query to you on one of the apple tree threads about your selection of certain varieties of apples that you bought from ACN. Was just curious as to the thought process....as I will be placing an order with them come January.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy from both Morse and Oikos. Both have trees that I want that the other does not have. From what I have seen they are both very good companies to purchase from.

Top Bottom