Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR: HUSH Program

blake

Life Member
Here is a thread from the Iowa DNR web site:

Holiday Spirit Hits Deer Hunters
Posted: December 2, 2004

DES MOINES - Iowa deer hunters are demonstrating the holiday spirit this year by donating more deer to needy families and donating more money to pay venison processing costs, according to the DNR.

In its second year, Help Us Stop Hunger (HUSH), and an abundance of deer permits, are giving hunters the opportunity to harvest more deer than ever and benefit many more Iowans, said Ross Harrison, DNR's HUSH coordinator.

"Virtually everyone feels we need to reduce the deer population in this state," said Harrison. The DNR is offering 34,000 additional doe permits over last year's record-setting season, and Harrison said the HUSH program offers hunters an the ideal outlet for deer they may want to shoot, but not take home. This season, more hunters are donating deer and money to the effort than last year.

"Any hunter in any season can donate any deer to HUSH," he said. "However, they can only donate HUSH deer to any of the 30 lockers participating in the program. We do not have enough money to go statewide to pay for venison processing. We are struggling to raise the money for our 2,000-deer goal for just the central part of the state." Last year, hunters donated 1,600 deer.

Paying only the cost of their regular deer license, a hunter can drop off field dressed deer at a participating locker. The list of lockers can be found at www.iowahush.com. Harrison said it costs HUSH $55 per deer for processing. He said the Food Bank of Iowa handles the payments, the venison pick-up from the locker and delivery to its social service agencies that supply the needy with the meat. For its work, the Food Bank receives $5 per deer.

"Our goal is to raise $120,000 in donations from auto insurance companies, conservation organizations, and Iowa businesses, and we are only about half-way there for this season. A big boost comes from deer hunter donations. Hunters are asked if they want to donate $5 to HUSH when they buy their deer permit. So far this year, about 3,000 deer hunters have given nearly $15,000 to HUSH," said Harrison.

He noted other big contributors to HUSH as the Iowa Farm Bureau, Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance, Des Moines Claim Managers Council, Hunter Specialties of Cedar Rapids and Whitetails Unlimited. Last year the legislature appropriated $17,000 to HUSH and Harrison is hopeful it will increase the amount next year.

"With sufficient funding, a statewide HUSH program could account for around 5,000 deer removed from the herd and given to those who really need this excellent meat at their dinner tables. It would cost only about $300,000 to produce the 1 million meals of venison this would provide," he said.

Too bad the participating lockers are so spread out. Eastern Iowa has very few. You might call to see if your local locker is participating in the Iowa prison program.

yeah, i think it bites BIG TIME that i bought extra doe tags to find out later that the nearest HUSH locker is 2 or so hours from where i hunt. bummer. any idea on how to find out about the prison program deer lockers?? granted, i have other opinions on what prisonors should eat, but we'll keep those thoghts to myself.

Easy Mud
grin.gif
Remember it's the holiday season
smirk.gif

I talked to Ross Harrison, about the IBA's donation to HUSH yesterday. He said they really need $50K in donations to make it though the hunting season.Hunters have been super with the animals brought in, now they just need more money. I know everyone is about donated out, but this really is a great program.
applause.gif
Very good PR for the hunting community.

When the feed the prisoner program was 1st proposed I believe the tags were to be handed out to hunters by the County Sheriff. I am not sure if that is still the case.

I do know that this summer prisoners were eating venison here in the Clarinda Correctional facility.

I donated an early muzzleloader deer to Ruzicka's Locker in Solon for the prison program. Not that far from you, is it Muddy? I happened to call Ruzika's asking if they were in the HUSH program. They told me no, but we participate in the prison program. It has to be a mature deer or they want a $20 donation with fawns. I guess they get paid by the pound and aren't able to recover costs on fawns. You might try a similar phone call to your closest locker.

thanks, solon is about 5 minutes or so away. how do they take the deer? gutted? off the bone?

Top Bottom