Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Yearly Round table meeting

F

fitzt

Not sure if this is the correct name for this or not.

The DNR does have a meeting once a year that discuss the proposed changes for the up coming Hunting seasons.

I have heard of this in the pass just never attend one.
This year when I found out when it was I wrote it down and made a point to go.

I was exspecting standing room only, exspecially when each year we have so much discussion on several of the Iowa Forums about the changes are legslation propose each year.

Let me tell you what I found?
And encourage people who are interested in the great hunting we still have in this state. That it's going to change if they do not hear from more people then what I saw in the meetings.

There are sites setup all across the state, and they are linked by video. Very cool process! With the DNR members all at one location. There are people from all parts of the DNR to answer questions, and give clarification to the laws.

The meeting lasted 2 hrs with them going through a summary of proposed changes. And allowing each site to commet on any of those. Then the remaining time is for general questions on anything.

What I exspected to see was a huge audotorium filled with people. What I got was a small room and maybe 4-6 people at each location. There were a few sites that had 10+ people but most sites had less then 6 people each.

Also supprised was the fact that the majority of the people were die hard Duck / Goose hunters. Deer hunters were far and few between.

Bottom line is they focus on what they hear about.

Just thought I would pass this along, and hopefully we wil see a bigger turn out next year.

That the impression I got also Fitzt.

I was at one site and got tired of listening to the waterfowlers. They're not happy campers right now because of the season dates and the lack of birds. So they're pretty vocal.

After the public comment period, Terry Little of the DNR said he was surprised they did'nt here more from the deer hunters concidering all the attention legislators were giving it this past session. He also encouraged more participation if your a deer hunter and have concerns. I got the impression that the DNR wanted to hear from us deerhunters. Even though the DNR doesn't make the laws, they do have some infuence.

Top Bottom