Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

doe quota?

How 'bout making them good for any season for just residents. We are the ones taking care of the herd, I know I'm seeing less does this year. Who says residents aren't filling the quota?

I've tried not to get involved in the "doe thing" because combined with the NR situation...it seems to me like a "no win" deal for all parties

Buying and leasing land in SE Iowa by/for both resident and NR hunters has made access all but impossible. This makes large scale serious contol of our deer herd also impossible and it's only getting worse.

It creates a never ending combination of seasons that many of us don't care for to try an attract hunters who in turn...have no place to hunt. Some areas don't have this problem yet but it's only a matter of time.

Our DNR is faced with problems of their own including rising fuel prices just as we are. Lowering tag prices seems highly unlikely and turning down millions in revenue from potential NR hunter fees is a hard pill for them to swallow.

Even NR hunters lose in the end as the average hunter is faced with paying hundreds for tags and thousands for access via an outfitter or lease. While a few will take a doe...it's a no brainer that most have no interest in wasting their time filling an antlerless tag.

In my area many areas encompassing several thousand acres or more have no antlerless kills whatsoever...which creates refuges when deer are pushed during firearm seasons. Every year more land is purchased or leased...often with promises to farmer/landowners to control the antlerless deer...but it never happens. Thousands of dollars in lease money make all that easy to overlook of course.

As for me...it all gets expensive...buying antlerless tags, so I'm careful to not buy a handful for any one season. There are no lockers near by that take HUSH deer and I'm not willing to drive 30 miles one way at $3 or more for fuel. Like many...I've just given up on having any real effect on the herd in my area. We fill our freezer and let a few friends do the same.

My personal feelings are...we've created a monster..so to speak...and it's never going away....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Well, now this topic has even more meaning for me. I got 3 tags this year, and didn't fill any of them. I hunted first season shotgun. I thought you could hunt any/all seasons as long as you bought license & tags, then found out today that you can't.

So even tho the quota is a certain number, they must have factored in that a % of tags dont get filled. If that is the case, Id rather see a lower quota and then allow us to hunt all seasons until our tags are filled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, now this topic has even more meaning for me. I got 3 tags this year, and didn't fill any of them. I hunted first season shotgun. I thought you could hunt any/all seasons as long as you bought license & tags, then found out today that you can't.

So even tho the quota is a certain number, they must have factored in that a % of tags dont get filled. If that is the case, Id rather see a lower quota and then allow us to hunt all seasons until our tags are filled.</div></div>

Me too. Got any ideas how the DNR can make up the revenue?

I do have to say though, during shotgun season it would be kinda dangerous if everybody could hunt both seasons.

The 'Bonker

I don't mind burning my antlerless bow tags, but, I would not be against people that bought an atlerless shotgun tag that didn't get filled, using it late muzzleloader season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have to say though, during shotgun season it would be kinda dangerous if everybody could hunt both seasons.
</div></div>
Maybe its different in other areas, but the spots that I hunted last year and this year, there was only 1 or 2 guys hunting the land. I don't see that overcrowding is a problem. The way the system is set up now, you could still have everyone sign up for one season or the other and still have uneven distribution of hunters.

If the DNR wants more money, and less complicated charts, let a hunter buy a year long hunting deer hunting licence, just the same way you buy your fishing licence. Then buy X number of tags that are good all season. Quota system to keep the population under control. Hunters are happy.

The weather was sleeting for Saturday of First Season Shotgun and Sunday the deer were hunkered down. So those guys that could only hunt first season on that weekend are pretty much out of luck.

Top Bottom