Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doing it by hand... (UPDATED w/Pics)

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all,

I have been talking for a year about adding a foodplot to one of my favorite bowhunting spots. This is the area where I do a good portion of my rut hunting. I found this spot 1st time through and always thought it was a good area. You know the that feeling you get in your gut when you find a good area. GO WITH IT>!! The first summer I had permission to hunt here my girlfriend and I were riding quad through here and spotted a color phased black bear w/2cubs right here. Later that year my hunting partner killed a that same bear (on tape) in this spot so the spot is the "bear bait stand."

Its a 5 acre oak/birch flat with 2 large 6-10 year old clear cuts grown back to popel brush on 2sides great bedding. Open pasture on south end and a 1year old clear cut on the north side. Deer funnel through naturally for acorns and moving from popel cutting to popel cutting. 2 old logging chris-cross through the center provide a nice trail for the deer to stoll down with ease. Well I always wanted to do some thing in there with these old logging roads. ATVs with tools just didnt seem right. I dont want others to find there way into my honey hole and its just not big enough. So:

The time was here and now:
After riding my ATV 1/2mile across a cattle pasture to get to the spot I carried all my supplies in.

Supplies:
Gloves
Refreshments
Garden Rake
Seed - Clover Mix with turnips
supplies.JPG

Looking around I realized this was going to take me awhile. Even though its only 8-10ft wide its alot to with a rake.
start.JPG

2hours and a few beers later I took a little break in my stand: I had a helluva start. There is about 2x as much out of the pic I didnt get in the pic.
part1.JPG

After I got all me seed down and somewhat covered with the rake I sipped another cold one and snapped this pic back at my stand.
final.JPG

3hours total with a 15min atv ride to check the fences along the pasture I was back at the truck. If this plot works at all it will be well worth it. And if it doesnt work... Oh well Live and Learn.

Remeber, there is no substitute for a little ambition and elbow grease.

Dean

Re: Doing it by hand...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seed - Clover Mix with turnips </div></div>

Keep us posted on how that mix does in the shade...at least it appears that it will be some what shaded when the trees leaf out.

Thanks for sharing the pics...it's amazing waht you can do with some good old fashioned elbow grease! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Shade was my main concern. It gets real green in there. If it doenst work what have I got to lose. 3hours worth of time and some free seed I was given.
If it doesnt work no big deal.

Dean

A powerful leaf blower may speed the raking next time. I'm afraid that much of the stuff that gets "real green" in there now is probably something adapted well to shade- anyway, good luck.

UPDATE!

So I went back into this stand to dump so more salt/mineral and hang a cam. Took the digital in with me to get some pics.
Here they are.To start with these pics where taken about 6:30pm. The mosquitoes and deer flys where 10x worse than anywhere else I've seen this year.

Remember this pic?
start.JPG

Same spot.
bbsfp3.JPG

I knew natural vegation and shade where going to be my worst problems.
bbsfp1.JPG

Its not as bad as the picture makes it look. But ferns and what ever the other big leaf plant is, is really thick.
bbsfp2.JPG

The clover is coming pretty nicely underneth it all. I even found some small turnip or rape coming up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
bbsfp4.JPG

Dean

Looks great! Lot's of folks would like to try something along the lines of what you have done so keep us posted on thru the summer and fall. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom