Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

double bull blinds

W

wanab.c.

I been thinking about getting a blind and wounder why guys like their double bull blinds so well.Are they worth the extra cash?
thanks Randy

I have never owned anything else so I can't compare it to a lesser kind.

I don't use it for deer, they see the outline plain as day and get spooked, it would probably work for a gun season where the deer might be 50 or more yards away.

You can throw brush and grass on it to take away the outline but that's more junk in the way for my arrow. And to go to that work I might as well hang a stand.

Turkeys walk right up to them, had a hen walk by at 6 feet last Spring. I bought mine so my kids can go hunting with me.

I bought mine brand new off of eBay, some guy sells them out of his garage, up by Spirit Lake somewhere.

Quick and simple to set up...zero wind flap.

Although I've used mine for several seasons for turkeys, I've not used it here for whitetails. I can tell you during turkey season that when deer would pass by...some would blow, some would just lock up and stomp their hoof, and some acted like it wasn't even there.
I have, however, used it in Arizona hunting coues deer
(Arizona whitetails) and mule deer over water holes.

My partner and I tried brushing it in with limbs and weeds the first year we had them down there...it didn't work. Not only did the deer bust us, but the cows coming into the waterhole would walk right up to the blind and just stand there and look at the blind!
We knew we had to figure something out, so we bought a 12'x12' 3-D netting from a Army surplus store to throw over the top and added some synthetic leaves(Sneaky Leaf) to help with breaking up the outline of the blind. We hunted 13 days last year and never got busted once and filled our tags for the first time. The shoot thru netting is a must and will not affect your arrow flight.

If you are planning to use it mainly for whitetails, you're either going to have to brush it in very well to break up the outline or leave it out for the deer to get use to.

Hope this helps.

TB

I have several and like them quite well. Have shot deer and seen many animals out of them. They are really great for bad weather - windy, rainy, sleet etc.

Photos from Double Bull blind

Some of the photos were in Kansas, one album is from Mexico hunt.
cool.gif

Jerry

I am just getting started with mine, and what I "Think" I am finding out, is 1. Set it up so it doesn't create a straight outline on the horizon. (Keep something in back of it) 2. If it is set up under trees where deer typically can look under them, such as into an open field, you have the same effect as 1. 3. Set it up on the inside of a curve, so deer don't end up looking directly at it, but are by nature looking past, or parallel to it.
The great thing is you can set in comfort, and move around all you want, as long as you are quiet. Read a book,have a pop, what ever. Heck you could even take a battery operated tv and watch the game.

BuckHusker,
Thanks for the tips, I'm just starting to use mine too. What you said makes pretty good sense, all except wanting to watch the game. Do you get the Hawkeyes or Cyclones out there?
Not sure who else you would be watching this year if you want to see quality football...Can you say Tiger Meat...

That hurts. Red ain't dead, just deeply wounded. I could only think of how the boys felt "whuppin' us like that after all the trashings we gave them

Two Beards, any suggestions on where to get the Army surplus camo? I'm trying to find some. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Buck,
My hunting partner and I each got our 3-D netting at a Army surplus store in southern California. He grew up here in central Iowa, but now lives in San Diego... that's how we started hunting coues deer in Arizona. It took us several years to figure out how to get close to those coues deer and our DB blinds along with the 3-D netting & Sneaky Leaves was definitely the ticket! The netting runs about $70 and it is used. It's a bit on the heavy side because of the size, but in spite of it's downside....it works. We use large duffle bags to store and carry it in.

I can contact my friend if you are interested in the name of the Army surplus store we bought them at. You may be able to find one here in Iowa, but I've never really looked around here. E-mail me if I can be of any further help.

Here is a link to the synthetic leaves we attached to the netting:

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-camo-3d-leaf.htm

Good Luck
TB

Old Buck,
Try Betts Hardware on Locust, East side of down town Des Moines. You might want to call first. Ask for Wes.
Bowdude

Top Bottom