Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DROP TINES & NON TYPICALS

T

thegeneral

just wondering how many of you have shot or seen non typical deer, in particular ones with drop tines. i've been deer hunting in adair and story counties quite successfully for 15 years now and have yet to even see a non typical. are they that rare, or am i just in the wrong places? perhaps i flip through the pages of North American Whitetail too often.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by thegeneral (edited 12-14-2001).]

my cousin got a nice buck that had a 12 inch droptine that forked, and a kicker off its g2. i am real jealous. non typicals are out there but just few and far between.

I have only seen one deer with a drop tine that was only about 4 or 5 inches long. I have seen many bucks with split G2's, G3's and even one buck with then end of his beam split into 3 "fingers"....he was an awesome sight! I hope to see a really huge monster with a big digger off of the main beam someday......
Good luck and good hunting!

Until 4 years ago I had never saw a non-typical or a deer with a droptine. That fall I video taped a huge 17pt that had one droptine. It was a main frame 10pt with forked brows and stickers off the g2s and g3s going sideways. Later that year I video taped a nice 3yr old with a 8 inch droptine. The following year my dad shot a 12pt with a 6 inch droptine. Last summer we video taped an enormous buck that we have the sheds from him 3 straight years. We had grown a droptine, the last time we found his sheds one antler had 11pts and scored 103". This past fall I video taped a big 10pt with a droptine and got him on camtrakker as well. Keep in mind all of these deer are within 2 miles of each other. If i can figure it out I will post some pictures. So just remember that southern Minnesota has some big bucks too.

The first picture is of the buck an amish killed. I videod this buck alive. I green scored him at right around 190"
amishbuck.gif

The second picture is of the sheds froma buck we have been hunting. The last year we recovered his sheds they scored 180" without a spread.
booney3years.gif

The third picture is of a buck from our camtrakker. We saw him two days later. He was seen alive just three weeks.
0110pt.gif

Minnesota has some nice bucks too!!

Nice...thanks for sharing.

I've not hunted MN but obviously you are right, nice bucks too.

Your pics look great!

TLH

General
I bowhunted Boone county for the last 6 years while at ISU and saw one really nice drop tined 8 point. He would have been in the 150's. The drop was about 5 inches. He followed a doe across the road in front of my car as I left my hunting area. There was also a 30 point non-typ shot around Boone this fall. I shot a 13 point along the river that had a third beam starting about 1/2 inch away from the base on the main antler. It was only about 2 inches long, but would have probably grown into something really cool if he had survived. But I think he is much happier on my wall!!
grin.gif

General, what areas of Story County are you hunting? We seem to have the same experience. The only drop-tine I've seen was a big 10-pt. down in Water Works Park in DM. Six-inch off left side of main beam. May have been one of Larry Zach's friends.

kpgibby, i've hunted only public ground in story county, along the "greenbelt area" and doolittle prairie. but, there's so much hunting pressure in that area that i was happy to see a fleeing doe. because of this, (hunting pressure) i worked real hard to find some private ground to hunt in my area this year. i got permission to hunt private land in boone county bordering the ledges state park and had thought i hit the jackpot. but i still didn't see anything as far as really large bucks. (not much sign of them either) there were plenty of deer, (i saw over 50 within a half hour the other day)but nothing to hang on the wall. there's also quite a bit of hunting pressure in this area too. i'm beginning to realize that i need to find a hunting spot that has a lot less hunting pressure if i want to take really big deer.

wow you guys really have some experience about the boone area...i am currently bowhunting the river by luther but wasnt very impressed....only saw one small seven point....looking to get into some good private land next year, sure would be nice to get a wallhanger my senior year at isu....if you guys got any tips for me that you would like to share, my email is [email protected]

The first year I went deer hunting I shot a non-typical 8. He was a 5x3 with 2 drop tines...he was pretty small be hes a nontypical..so I am happy..

jerad, as far as finding private land to hunt, all i can advise is that you start knocking on doors early. that's what i did in prep for this past season. the land that i ended up hunting i had secured by june. i also went to the farm and worked 2-3 times in the evening helping the farmer out. as you can imangine, he was very pleased and has already said i could hunt agian next fall. i also plan on dropping off some meat when i get it back from the locker. perhaps you could try offering this kind of help when asking to hunt, it can't hurt your chances. beware though, farmers will work you very hard, as i found out!

mn hunter, nice pics! maybe i should be hunting up north!

You city boys......JK
General,
Maybe if you work hard enough for me you can hunt my land, but I know how tired you get. Maybe when you get into shape.....
BT

There are a few in the area we hunt (if they got throught he season). There's a big buck with big drop tine on our farm, and a nearby hunter took a buck with a drop tine and a 180 inch typical frame. Our old neighbor bagged a buck very similar to this one. No pictures, though.

Where are all the typical bucks? Here in se Iowa it seems all the big bucks are non-typ. I've killed two, my buddy killed one and my brother killed one. It seems like all the big deer around here are non-typ and the younger bucks are more typ. My bucks both reached the ripe old age of seven, my buddies was 5, and my brother's buck has to be 5-7 years old. We just figured the older bucks were more likely to be non-typ, they have been around longer so they have more of a chance to get the stickers and drop tines. Oh yeah, my cousin also hit a monster non-typ on the road, totaled her car, I told her it was worth it with the buck she hit. Double drops, matching! The drops were huge! They looked like motorcycle handle bars. 8-10 inches long and black from not shedding the velvet, they were 1 1\2 - 2 inches thick at their widest point, he scored in the 180's. We never checked his age. Having a hard time finding big typ's here.

I have never run into any nontyps bowhunting, but my uncle has seen a few nice bucks with drop tines while we were shotgun hunting. Of course maybe he just says that so I will have more ambition to push them to him.

Top Bottom