Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dual residency

B

Blind Sow

There have been quite a few questions here in the past reference non-residents registering to vote in Iowa in order to "show" residency so they could get avoid the nonresident draw and get a resident deer license.

All conservation officers, fisheries, wildlife and parks personnel just received information on this subject from our law enforcement bureau. Iowa's limited deer license quotas for non-residents have pushed some hunters to look for loopholes in obtaining licenses. Add in the substantial license increase non-residents will pay for a 2002 deer license we (the DNR) may find more hunters loophole hunting.

One method that I know has been mentioned on this site and on the Iowa Bowhunter Conference site is registering to vote in Iowa. Yes, being a registered voter in Iowa is one of several ways to be considered a resident.

But to be a registerd voter is more than just being registered. Even if a non-res gets registered the wording in the DNR's dual residency section more than likely will disqualify him/her.

Under Iowa code 483A.2 Dual Residency it reads: A resident license shall be issued to persons who do NOT claim any resident privileges...in another state or country. A person shall not purchase or apply for any resident license or permit if that person has claimed residency in any other state or country.

This section is very plain, if you claim ANY resident privileges from another state or country you would not be eligible for a resident Iowa license.

The following is a list of examples of resident privileges, which is by no means complete or all-inclusive: being registerd to vote, claiming a homestead exemption, having a resident hunting, fishing or trapping license, being the recipient of public assistance, filing Iowa income tax as a non-resident, or filing income tax as a resident of other state or country.

With the nonresident application period coming up I thought I'd post this information so there are no (or at least very few) misundertandings of the regulation.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Interesting topic Blind Sow, but how and when do you prevent a dual resident from getting a resident license?

Are, or at what point in the licensing process are the claims for residency in other states checked? I'm an Iowa resident and just purchased my 2002 Hunting and Fishing License. When I made the purchase was I checked for dual residency? The only verification I was asked for was my Iowa DL or my old hunting/fishing license.

My question points to whether there is a system in place to enforce the regulations you describe and how it works. Does the DNR, at some point, preform a nationwide check for the examples of dual residency during the application process, or is that done later, or at all?

Thanks for shedding more light on this subject, your knowledge adds a lot of value to the Iowa Whitetail Conference.

Blind Sow, As Driftless mentioned...how are hunters checked for dual residency? How can anyone buy a 'resident deer tag' without owning/buying a 'resident general hunting license'? Either you are a resident of Iowa or you're not.

TB

Blind Sow, I was recently at a bow shop in Nebraska and overheard some guys talking about all you have to do in Iowa to purchase a instate tag is get an Iowa drivers license.Is this true, all I have to do is give the K-Mart or whatever my DL and I get a deer, turkey or general hunting license. They said it was easy!

The initial post spells out the requirements to obtain Iowa resident licenses whether just hunting, fishing, deer, etc. If someone tries to circumvent the system (no doubt some will try and possible succeed) when they are caught it can be costly.

For example if they somehow got a resident deer license and shot a buck (any size) and the DNR found out and cite them the ticket would only cost $145 the maximum allowed for our fish and game violations. However, the liquidated damages for an antlered deer taken before the start of Iowa's shotgun deer season is either $2000 plus 80 hours of community service or in lieu of c.s. $4000.

Is illegally obtaining a resident deer license worth $4000? I guess it's up to each individual.

Doug

Thanks for the input Blind Sow...it would be nice to think fellow hunters would abide by the laws set forth by each state, unfortunately I know that's not the case.

TB

Top Bottom