Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ear tags???

K

Kat

That's funny, there's a big 8 pt on my huntin' ground this year with a yellow ear tag. I called the dnr office in Des Moines, but they had no idea where it came from. Someone said it may have come from DeSoto. I guess they have tagged and radio collared deer there.

You are right, those tags stick out like a sore thumb. If he comes within 20 yards I'll let you know what the tag says...
wink.gif

Last night I was out it was beautiful but very slow.
confused.gif
Anyway about 4:30 I see a doe coming through the timber. Something didn't look right, and as she got closer I noticed something in her right ear. She came to about 35 yds and no kidding there's a yellow ear tag like cattle have in her right ear. When she turned away I could see a orange spot on the back of her ear. What's with that?? There are no know deer farms within 50 miles. Is this a DNR thing?? I was confused, and on top of that. I think the gal with the strange ear ring scared all the bucks away to.

Hunting, never the same experience twice!

The DNR has done studies with deer in Water Works park in Des Moines using collars and ear tags. Typically the does got collars and ear tags and the bucks got just ear tags.

The collars would choke the bucks during the rut when the neck swells.

Some of the bucks tagged in Des Moines have been shot as far north as Hubbard and as far south as New Virginia. Typically the deer follow rivers.

The collars were for a GPS study to track movements. The batteries are all dead in the collars now. A doe was shot in water works this year, the collar had been on her for 5 years.

Top Bottom