Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Muzz. Season 2009

SWIADEERHNTR

Come 'on Next Season....
How is everybody doing after one weekend of muzzleloader hunting? I went out S/S/M morning and evening hunts and saw only does. I shot my first deer last year (doe) in 2nd shotgun season. I'm trying to get my first buck this year so I thought I'd try early/pre rut hunting with a muzzleloader. I know there are a lot of nice bucks in the area so hopefully this next weekend will be better!

There was a small window (6-7 pm) when the deer were moving with enough light to shoot. I'm guessing the wind and warm temps had their movement minimized but who knows. Maybe it was just my lack of experience!! It was still great sitting in the outdoors in the great weather.

Warm weather and too many crops still in. The guys that do well consistantly in the early season normally have the deer pretty well scouted. Good luck the rest of the way.

Looks like a break in this crappy weather over the weekend...could be a couple of decent days to be out there.

NWBuck

Been seeing lots of does feeding in the beans. Saw one good buck wed. night, over estimated the range and missed. He didn't spook and I watched him for 10 minutes before I realized I should reload and shoot again. He wandered off while I was reloading. I have some pasture rented for my horses about a mile from home. Went to check them this morning and they were out, deer went through the hot wire. Wife and I went out to catch them and she about got run over by three bucks chasing a doe. Hopefully their still around when I go out tonight.

Good luck getting that first buck! If you are around the does, that is a GOOD thing! The bucks won't be too far behind.

Well, I did get my first buck Saturday night!!! Bean field with about 30 does from 15 yds to 250yds from me...2 spike bucks were in an all out brawl 20 yds from me so that was cool to watch. FINALLY with about 35 mins of light left, an 8 point even to just beyond his ears walked out into the field from the timber 85 yds, away...30 seconds later, a larger 8 point right behind him. But they turned away from me and went into the field. By the time they were out in the open enough for me to have a clear shot, they were 250yds away heading towards the standing corn at the end of this bean field. I thought I was screwed...but the herd of does turned around and came back at me. I grunted and didn't get much response so waited 10 mins and grunted again followed by a snort wheeze and that got him to turn around and begin following the does back towards me. A few does got really close and upwind of me and were on full alert. Again, I thought I was screwed...it wasn't enough to spook them completely so they just stood there and the buck kept coming. There was about 10 mins of shooting light left, and he turned broadside at 60 yds. I put the gun up, wiped the rain drops off the scope so I could see....and dropped him...after the smoke cleared, I just saw his rear end on the ground and his front legs kicking trying to get up and he just fell...didn't move again. I was so pumped! He scored gross 130...with 2 guys and tape measure later that night anyways...It was a blast and I can't wait to go again next year!!

Well, I'm trying to post a pic but not sure if it will work...don't know what the URL address is for a picture in my folder on the desktop...

Top Bottom